The Boffin Files

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Boffin Files

Post  DYNASONIC on Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:19 pm

Idea i will start a new thread called the "Boffin Files" where drum History trivia can be discussed about who played what (drums ,sizes,cymbals,recording methods etc etc) on classic albums ,i am sure we can share and benifit from our own group of knowledge, so to start it off ....

DYNASONIC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Boffin Files

Post  DYNASONIC on Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:32 pm

Shocked info has just come to light that on Led Zeppelin 1 John Bonham used a Slingerland kit sizes 13x12 rack 16x16 floor 24x14 kick with a Ludwig 14x5 alloy snare and Paiste Giant beat cymbals ,it wasnt untill four months later after the recording was made that he picked up a Ludwig sponsorship during the first US tour and then played the blonde maple (which came with two 26" kicks) that was used to record Led Zeppelin two ,three, four.

DYNASONIC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:34 pm

Great topic Dyna, I have heard Bonzo used a slingy on the first Zep album and also that Carmine Appice hooked him up with the blonde maple ludwig kit through ludwig apparently the guys in Zep would hide the other bass drum when bonzo went to the toilet ha ha. Did you also know he owned a Hayman at one stage?

My contribution, Ringo's Kits. On the first few beatles recordings he was playing a Premier 54 model kit in mahogany duroplastic but had the 14x4" royal ace instead of the 14x5.5". His first 2 ludwig kits were Black oyster Pearl downbeats in 20, 14, 12 confiq and always with a 14x5.5" matching jazz festival, later on as they played bigger shows in the US he brought another 2 black oyster sets in the 22, 16, 13 confiq still with the matching jazz fest towards the end of the beatles career he got a 5pc hollywood in natural maple and used a chrome supraphonic, Ringo still has all these drums except the bass drum and floor tom off his first downbeat. Cymbals are thought to be ancient avedis zildjian with 602 hats.
Mark [Admin]
Admin

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DYNASONIC on Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:25 am

Smile yeah great stuff ,there is a photo of Bonzo playing a Gretsch kit with L Z in England early 69 ,he also owned .
The Ludwig book has some good stuff on Ringo's drums,apparently he was playing Premier and was taken by Brian Epstein to the music instrument dealership to buy a new kit and on looking through the swatches of the finishes he didnt like any of them but spotted a swatch of the Ludwig finishes and saw the oyster and said thats the one i want,and so by that he played the Ludwig brand .

DYNASONIC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  granstar on Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:55 am

I have the book Thunder Of drums written about Bonzo, worthy read.
Apparently JB mirrored Carmine's kit. Often they Vanilla Fudge and Led Zep did double gigs and had the audience wondering what the . when between bands they would take one kit off the stage, and put another exactly the same back up.

A listen to Duke Ellington's "Skin Deep" and you can hear the influence Louie Belson had on JB.
I heard a Big band playing a solo on an old black and white film years ago ( sorry can't recall the name of the movie) but i'm positive the drum solo the drummer and conga players did in the movie smacked of Moby Dick. Of course JB rocked it up, but i reckon he nicked bits and pieces as much as every other drummer does. It is more of how he played than what he played that made him stand out.

Anyone want to tune like Bonzo should check out the Jeff Ochletree DVD as he reveals how he got the big sound. Mark Romans from 12 Hour Mary does a nice play on them.

Born in 1950 this drummer and brothers band originally called Spectrum, went on to sell over 100 million units of album sales including 3 #1 Billboard Hot 100 singles.
The drummer played a Ludwig kit and was voted Best Drummer in 1975. They often played the famous Whiskey A Go Go.
So who am i talking about? ... Idea

Rock on Karen Carpenter 1950 - 1983
granstar

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/noideanz

Back to top Go down

Post  DYNASONIC on Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:31 pm

Cool have a look at classic drum solos 1 dvd and you will see Joe Morello playing the original 'moby dick' sticks to hands and even the same rhythms way cool .

DYNASONIC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:35 pm

Yeah, Karen's blue/clear vistalite kit was up on ebay a year or so back had the cases with 'carpenters' stenciled on them and cymbals as well one was a krut which kinda of amazed me drunken

Speaking of nerdy gear, I was heavily influenced by Gadd in the late 80's and always liked his setup back then he had a Yamaha recording custom 22 bass and 10 12 14 16 hanging toms plus the 70's ludwig supra - great drums! not to mention the smokey old K hats and ride before he started using all modern zildjians.
Mark [Admin]
Admin

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  granstar on Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:36 am

Cozy Powell the meaty drummer from Rainbow died in a car crash1998 aged 50.
He was a sought after drummer pummelling drums since the 60's including many soundtracks for movies. He also got into the Guiness Book Of Records when he ran down a massive double line of pairs of toms playing them as he ran past, thereby he holds the record for playing the most drums in one minute.

Last edited by granstar on Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spalling miztake)
granstar

Back to top Go down

Post  granstar on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:51 am

INSIDE OUT A Personal History Of PINK FLOYD by NICK MASON

Just finished reading this book that has a lot of boffin material in it. I recommend to any musician to read, as it shows the hard work dedicated bands put in before making it big, and then the work that gets harder from there on.
Nick Mason is my kind of drummer, plays for the song and is not a showboater.
Nick writes this about getting the drum sound on tape, one of his longwinded witty descriptions.

Quote" In rock music, getting this right is still one of the great tests of the engineer. Since the drum's original use was to spur troops into warfare, rather than winning over a maidens fair heart, it is hardly surprising that many a battle has been fought over the drum sound.
The kit- virtually the only remaining acoustic instrument in a rock context, consisting of a number of different constituent parts which insist on vinrating and rattling through a remarkable range of sounds and surfaces. Worse, hitting one element will set up a chain vibration in the others."

I had trouble putting this book down, it is a great story, the only time i put it down was to grab a dictionary to check some of the words he uses and i have never heard of before.
Recommended.

The PINK FLOYD EXPERIENCE are travelling the country at the moment, i saw them many years ago and they are mind blowing, despite not being the real McCoy. The two drummers who switch vocal roles, in fact the whole band and light show are absoulutely awesome.
If you haven't seen them yet, check them out.

http://www.curledup.com/insidout.htm
granstar

Back to top Go down

nick mason

Post  DYNASONIC on Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:06 pm

Wink did he give any specifics (tech details) on what drums he used in recording ,what heads ,tunings & why etc.

DYNASONIC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  granstar on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:28 am

Mentions the kits he used including a fibes see through, but not specifics. They upgraded gear so often i don't think he kept up with specifics, just played.
Tells more about the race cars he drove.
Here is a good link ...
http://sparebricks.fika.org/sbzine23/ggg.html
granstar

Back to top Go down

nick mason

Post  DYNASONIC on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:38 pm

Cool way cool thanks.

DYNASONIC

View user profile

Back to top Go down