When science meets drums...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

When science meets drums...

Post  firetomysoul on Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:25 am

Over the past few years pearl has been putting some serious effort in, beginning with the masterworks program and moving on to the reference and the new series masters they have made some significant changes, first off most notable is there change form single wood shells to hybrids, now they aren't the first to do this but by far have they made the idea stick the best, now they are experimenting with the golden ratio (ratio used by greeks to design astheticly pleasing buildings) with placement of vents and depths of shells.

So just how much science and research should go into a drum?, whats wrong with the classic kits out of the sixties and seventies? why doesn't what was fine then suffice anymore?

unleash your views...
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: When science meets drums...

Post  keaton_86 on Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:37 am

I find it funny that companies go to this much effort, yet many people still prefer the sound of vintage drums. It just goes to show that alot of these "Advancements" is purely for marketing hype, and to get a one up on the competition.

keaton_86

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:28 am

yeah, I agree once companies have sold us piccolos, deep toms, 23" bass drums, drums with holes in em they need to keep coming up with new ideas to remain fresh. Hybrid shells are nothing new, 60's ludwig classics were maple/poplar/maple - I like the vintage stuff I have to admit, sounds less generic to my ears anyway.
Mark [Admin]
Admin

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  firetomysoul on Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:27 am

i dunno... i kinda prefer how modern floor toms resonate real nice, my premier floor i cant seem to get it sitting right
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DYNASONIC on Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:16 pm

firetomysoul wrote:i dunno... i kinda prefer how modern floor toms resonate real nice, my premier floor i cant seem to get it sitting right
Wink best to record drums with AKG and then listen to playback and compare.
Personally age and make really mean nothing its the sound that counts and with todays wide range of music its what best suits that genre .Its interesting to listen to someone like Jason Bonham playing live on DW's then vintage Luds then acrylics,he tends to do lots of solos so the drum sounds are clear.

DYNASONIC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  firetomysoul on Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:30 am

hmmm never really listened to Jason, what recordings should i listen to?
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DYNASONIC on Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:13 pm

firetomysoul wrote:hmmm never really listened to Jason, what recordings should i listen to?
youtube, you dial in the name and listen and watch any drummer youve ever wanted to hear.some have even put on drum kits to listen to ,but these are usually home made and very poor quality sound not a good guide compared to studio recorded drums.

DYNASONIC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top