New kit photos!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New kit photos!

Post  keaton_86 on Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:36 am

Hey all, i got some new portholes, so i thought it would be a good time to take updated kit pics, enjoy:)

keaton_86

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New kit photos!

Post  firetomysoul on Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:52 pm

nice

I'm curious why you went for such big ports, it'd virtually be the same as playing without a resonant it would vent so much air
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  keaton_86 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:36 am

Hiya, the resonants are only 6 inches, and ive tried them without the resos. It definately takes alot of the boom away with no resos on, with the ports it makes the sound a bit quicker, and doesnt resonate as long, which i find annoying. Then, with a tea towel on each reso head, it makes the perfect noise. Thanks for looking Smile

keaton_86

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  granstar on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:30 am

With that kind of porting i would be inclined to forget about T towels if you were playing with a band or the drums possibly won't cut through out front due to the size and placement of the ports. Mind, with two differently placed or sized towels you will get desirable variance between the two kicks. Probally sound great miked up.
I place ports at 4 o'clock so the reso has to work a little before the air vibes out, but hey we are all different.Nice kit.
granstar

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/noideanz

Back to top Go down

Post  T on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:49 pm

i'm toying with the idea of using 2 small ports... seen it done on my mates kit, we'll see though, i'm not sold yet, and am so used to a single 4", which is litterally mm away from the size of a Beta 52!
T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rabble on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:13 am

I know its like 10 months late but..

In response to granstar how would rotating the head 60 degrees anti-clockwise (from 6 o'clock to 4 o'clock) change the sound? (assuming the the beater is striking the head in the center of the drum?)

I don't see how this would change anything but appearance.
Rabble

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  granstar on Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:28 am

In my mind wouldn't make any difference where the hole is positioned but where it is located on the head i.e how far from the rim the port is cut.
The pic of yours the hole appears more central than to the side, the variance would be where the vibes go straight through the port to where with one cut closer to the side, the vibes hit the reso before going out. The tones will be different and obviously depends on listeners ear to what you choose.
Note my recent post the port on the Aquarian head is factory set at 3. Reasoning for this is ease of shoving a mike in there to catch centre drum, no reason why it can't go at the bottom apart from keeping vermin out, but then you would have to read your logo side on. Be a pain to get a boom stand in there tho, and realistically the reason ports came to be is to place things in there rather than tuning, Bonham never had ports.
But bigger ports do flatten the head some, if it's too big may as well not have a head, that's why they are called resonant heads, they resonate the vibes.
And if that's what you like, why not ...Steve Gadd used a central hole.

Trouble with using dark front heads is visual when placing stuff in there. Our cat climbed into my kick one day and was sound asleep on my pillow i used to use for quieting for practice. Unbeknown to me i cranked up, and out it shot.
Smile Laughing

One thing i found was a mike lead resting on a port causes an awefull noise as it moves when playing, somewhere i picked up a tip to use a bulldog clip placed on the drum rim with half of the clip folded back to hold the mike lead away from the edge of the port.
granstar

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/noideanz

Back to top Go down

Post  Rabble on Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:41 am

Well it isn't my kit, I was just interested in your reasoning. I agree with you, I prefer smaller ports on the edge of the head, but I thought you were saying that rotating the head would change the sound. Upon closer inspection I see that the ports are quite central, and now understand what you were saying.
Rabble

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  firetomysoul on Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:28 am

granstar wrote:

One thing i found was a mike lead resting on a port causes an awefull noise as it moves when playing, somewhere i picked up a tip to use a bulldog clip placed on the drum rim with half of the clip folded back to hold the mike lead away from the edge of the port.
Evans website.
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top