Snare Batter Head

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Snare Batter Head

Post  Brennan on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:10 am

Im having trouble with the longevity of my snare heads. Seem to be changing the batter head every 2-3 months or less!!
I do hit hard an to compensate im using a Evans Genera HD Dry head (Apparently really strong) But they just are not lasting.

Any suggestions on a decent head?

Im using an 8"x14" 6ply Maple snare (Vinnie Paul Sig Model) and I want to maintain the LOUD crack im getting out of it

Cheers
Brennan

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/septicideband

Back to top Go down

Re: Snare Batter Head

Post  firetomysoul on Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:58 pm

don't hit as hard? tune lower so the head moves rather than taking a direct hit?

are you getting mean pits or is the whole head just wearing out
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brennan on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:14 pm

firetomysoul wrote:don't hit as hard?

hahaha

Yes I have been told that a few times before but I get a little "possessed" on stage an tend to hit a bit too hard.

My hits are all concentrated in the center of the head and eventually the whole thing just gives out.
When you take it off its sagging really badly in the middle.

My main question is: Does anyone know of a strong head with a decent crack.
Brennan

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/septicideband

Back to top Go down

Post  firetomysoul on Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:11 am

g2 with e-ring
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nakidrummerkid on Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:03 am

remo empror x?
nakidrummerkid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  granstar on Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:36 am

my 2c Are you hitting hard for volume or do you need to work on making the stick do all the work? My suggestion is work on learning to play rim shots for volume and dynamics.
recommend the Jojo Mayer DVD

I 'm from the " fat warm, punchy and powerfull " brigade and i'm talking about drum heads here to suit the music style i like and play.
A power dot fitted underneath a powerstroke 3 , i get everlasting durability. But as you are wanting "crack" it's likely you need to use thinner heads and also tension the heads so they are more stressed than usual, nothing wrong with that but like pipe band snare heads, when they get up in tension they bust, or break tension screws.
Another consideration would be your snare. The narrow depth shells are better for getting poppy high end crack.

Don't forget to listen out front to your tuning.
granstar

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/noideanz

Back to top Go down

Post  firetomysoul on Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:44 am

yeah too often a drummer tunes his drums to sound good behind the kit not in front of it

i tune my heads quite dead but once miked and out front they sound huge
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boguen on Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:57 pm

I get a bit excited myself when playing live and tend to hit a bit to hard, live i play a tama starclassic piccolo and man does it crack, cant play it at band practise and sound check at the pubs can be fun when it come's to snare mic check, i've had the same snare batter on for 3 to 4 years now (a bit slack i know) played in a punk band and now rock/funk and its still got life in it so my call is a AQUARIAN hi-energy, i play remo's on two of my kits and even's g2's on my gig kit but will go with the aquarian again for that snare, hope that help's sweet

boguen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  firetomysoul on Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:38 am

boguen wrote: AQUARIAN hi-energy,

cheers

epic win
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  John on Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:41 am

I swear by a Remo Ambassador coated on my snare batter, and I'm the hardest hitter I know. Tuned medium-high, rimshot pretty much every backbeat snare note.

John

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DYNASONIC on Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:48 am

John wrote:I swear by a Remo Ambassador coated on my snare batter, and I'm the hardest hitter I know. Tuned medium-high, rimshot pretty much every backbeat snare note.
Cool i'll go with that ,ambassador coated record sharper.

DYNASONIC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Snare Head

Post  DrumCity on Sun May 03, 2009 11:56 pm

Try This:

Steal (Or any Metal) Snare Drum 5 x 14" = Remo CS Black Dot (CS-0114-10)

Maple (Or any Wood) Snare Drum 5 x 14" = Remo Powerstroke 3 (No Dot) (P3-0114-BP)

those two heads would be the default head i would go to. Tried and True
DrumCity

View user profile http://www.drumcity.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Mon May 04, 2009 9:36 pm

Emperor X would be my suggestion if you want longevity but if you're still mashing those you could try a falams marching head... be careful not to over tension these tho or you'll cave your drum in...
Mark [Admin]
Admin

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Belltone on Thu May 28, 2009 7:44 am

Hey all. New guy here. Cool forum.

So what head would you folks advise for a vintage Premier piccolo snare? I've only tried a Coated ambassador so far. I find it stifles the drum a bit much so would something thinner be the go? It'd be pretty much just for studio use so longivity is not the issue here. Or perhaps I should change the reso head which is an Evans G1?

Scott

Belltone Studios

Belltone

View user profile http://www.belltone.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post  flamingsticksdrummer on Thu May 28, 2009 10:27 am

Id be a little worried if you're finding an ambassador is stifling the drum. Ambassadors are very thin heads and so usually thats not a problem. Definitly try changing out the reso head.
flamingsticksdrummer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Thu May 28, 2009 10:55 pm

Hi Belltone, I use the exact same drum a 60's premier 14x4" royal ace piccolo. I'd try running a clear diplomat snare on the bottom and a coated amb on top. But at the moment have a fibreskin 3 on the batter and has a nice organic tone you could try one of those?
Mark [Admin]
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  BillyTheKid on Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:14 am

I would try Remo's new Black X snare batter. I had one on my snare for a while and that thing can take a beating! Doesn't resonate much though as it is so thick. The other option would be to go for a marching snare head. You could also try running a few strips of duct tape underneath the head as this will help reduce the stress. The real key is to be able to make it look like you are belting the crap out of your kit but have enough control to limit the actual amount of power transferring to the heads Very Happy
BillyTheKid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Belltone on Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:51 am

Mark [Admin] wrote:Hi Belltone, I use the exact same drum a 60's premier 14x4" royal ace piccolo. I'd try running a clear diplomat snare on the bottom and a coated amb on top. But at the moment have a fibreskin 3 on the batter and has a nice organic tone you could try one of those?

Hey Mark I bought the snare from you! Just wish I had hunted down the correct snare strainer for it. So I've put on fibreskin 3 and a Diplomat, tuned it up a lot higher than I had it before and voila! she sounds ten times better than before. Ace.

Belltone

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:12 am

Belltone wrote:
Mark [Admin] wrote:Hi Belltone, I use the exact same drum a 60's premier 14x4" royal ace piccolo. I'd try running a clear diplomat snare on the bottom and a coated amb on top. But at the moment have a fibreskin 3 on the batter and has a nice organic tone you could try one of those?

Hey Mark I bought the snare from you! Just wish I had hunted down the correct snare strainer for it. So I've put on fibreskin 3 and a Diplomat, tuned it up a lot higher than I had it before and voila! she sounds ten times better than before. Ace.

Which snare dude, I sell and buy quite a bit.
Mark [Admin]
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Belltone on Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:18 pm

Mark [Admin] wrote:
Belltone wrote:

Old Premier 'Super 4' 14x4" birch with beech re-rings. Finished in white laminate, has small premier 'P' badge, 8 piccolo snare lugs and the famous premier die-cast hoops. Very good condition for it's age with minimal pitting on chrome.

Belltone

Back to top Go down

Post  firetomysoul on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:47 am

Mark [Admin] wrote:

understatement of the century Laughing

I think i bought my premier artist brass of you as well, not too sure though. My weta takes the cake though
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:31 pm

firetomysoul wrote:
Mark [Admin] wrote:

understatement of the century Laughing

I think i bought my premier artist brass of you as well, not too sure though. My weta takes the cake though

AH that one that was a nice drum, wish I could have found the snare mech for it. They sound great don't they?
Mark [Admin]
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  firetomysoul on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:19 am

indeed, it sounds darker since it got the plating done
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bullfrog on Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:44 am

Brennan wrote:Im having trouble with the longevity of my snare heads. Seem to be changing the batter head every 2-3 months or less!!
I do hit hard an to compensate im using a Evans Genera HD Dry head (Apparently really strong) But they just are not lasting.

Any suggestions on a decent head?

Im using an 8"x14" 6ply Maple snare (Vinnie Paul Sig Model) and I want to maintain the LOUD crack im getting out of it

Cheers

Ive also got a VP snare and the same Evans head and love it, sounds incredible. these heads are the toughest ive come across, you must hit super hard dude. The remo weatherking ambas head the snare came with sounded great too, but only lasted about one week from memory. Cool
Bullfrog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mty on Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:37 pm

yeh - coated ambassador is one of the most responsive heads around - i love them. the only way you could get more 'open' would be to try a single ply clear head but for my taste, it would make the snare start to sound like a timbale.

I tried a new coated powerstroke 3 head for a gig the other gig (3 songs long) - i'm a solid hitter but certainly no thumper, but i was really surprised by the end of the 15 minute set i had worn a small horn in the coating?!!
This has never happened with an Ambassador! I'd have expected more

mty

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/selonrecliner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top