"Metronoming"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"Metronoming"

Post  Brennan on Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:25 am

Hi all,
Our band is hittin the studio in August to record our first E.P
The guy has asked that I learn to play all our songs to a metronome as we will be laying the drums down first by themselves.

I have never even seen a metronome before.

Can someone please shed some light on "Metronoming" for me?
I.E how do I set it to play at the tempo of 1 of my songs in relation to tempo changes etc.

I can play all of our songs by myself no probs and my timing is pretty good (If I do say so myself Smile) so hopefully wont be too hard.

Please, any and all advise you have... Giveth!

Ta
Brennan

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/septicideband

Back to top Go down

Re: "Metronoming"

Post  DYNASONIC on Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:24 am

Crying or Very sad thats an insult ,he dosent want you,he wants a drum machine with presets.

DYNASONIC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  firetomysoul on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:48 am

haha trust me bro everyone thinks there time is perfect til they go up against a metronome, as for tempo changes in songs, if they're half time or double time no problem, if they different than that you need a sequencer or something like protools that allows for tempo and meter changes. Annoying i know but it certainly is worth it to learn to play to one.
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  granstar on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:04 am

Get a Tempo Ref search Lug Lock
These are like a speedo and help you adjust and maintain tempo,and keep good meter without becoming too disiplined and loose feel. Only my opinion. Wink

It's common to use a click in the studio Bendan, it's a guide to help keep good time. A cheap Korg beatlab (designed for drummers) is a good tool to get used to metronome click, you may be surprised at what you find when playing along.
The idea is to get a good drum track down as the base for all the others to lay their stuff on top. Getting a good track down played in time makes it easier, and more importantly saves a lot of money, the guy does give good advice. Can only enhance your drumming skills.
granstar

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/noideanz

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:23 pm

it's usually a good idea to be practicing to a click before you go into the studio it means you don't have that added worry on your shoulders when you need to concentrate on the music 100%. Tom from Shihad used to have a boss drum machine and program his song patterns into it to play along to.
Mark [Admin]
Admin

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  firetomysoul on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:12 am

Tom i reckon is one of the most under-rated drummers ever.
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Regal on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:40 am

Have to agree with you there mark..
i create every pattern i play ( in logic, garageband, or FL studio), and play along to that.. it leaves you with impeccable timing and reminds you to play the right pattern every time.
i click EVERYTHING.. from pubs to tv, studio and rehearsals.

some drummers call this over-kill and prefer a bit of time "flexibility" live, but i think it tightens up the sound.
i could blabber on all day about metronomes (i think they are as essential as pro tools), but for your sort of music Brennan i'd definitely say its a must in studio.

Try downloading the free version of a sequencer like FL Studio or Ableton Live (windows) and programming in what you play.. then having a practice with it!

Regal

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/ethanol58

Back to top Go down

Post  Belltone on Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:27 am

Brennan wrote:Hi all,
Our band is hittin the studio in August to record our first E.P
The guy has asked that I learn to play all our songs to a metronome as we will be laying the drums down first by themselves.

I have never even seen a metronome before.

Can someone please shed some light on "Metronoming" for me?
I.E how do I set it to play at the tempo of 1 of my songs in relation to tempo changes etc.

I can play all of our songs by myself no probs and my timing is pretty good (If I do say so myself Smile) so hopefully wont be too hard.

Please, any and all advise you have... Giveth!

Ta

Hey Brennan hows it going in the studio? Which one are you at?

Belltone

View user profile http://www.belltone.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post  DYNASONIC on Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:59 pm

Mark [Admin] wrote:it's usually a good idea to be practicing to a click before you go into the studio it means you don't have that added worry on your shoulders when you need to concentrate on the music 100%. Tom from Shihad used to have a boss drum machine and program his song patterns into it to play along to.
Crying or Very sad sadly the whole point of being a drummer is to keep time ; if you need a metronome you cant play in time and will always be the Pete Best of drummers.

DYNASONIC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  firetomysoul on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:40 am

i think your a little of the mark there dynasonic, metronoming is done to inact precision upon your playing, time is one component yes, but also gauging whether your ahead or behind the beat or in the pocket is another thing entirely, besides many a pro use metronomes every tour they do...
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DYNASONIC on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:44 am

firetomysoul wrote:i think your a little of the mark there dynasonic, metronoming is done to inact precision upon your playing, time is one component yes, but also gauging whether your ahead or behind the beat or in the pocket is another thing entirely, besides many a pro use metronomes every tour they do...
Razz nice to be of the mark,thank you.... what you say is true as well (little bit of razz to help the forums momentum).

DYNASONIC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  firetomysoul on Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:29 am

lol past bed time
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content