"Pacific Drums"...?????

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"Pacific Drums"...?????

Post  Jah Sun on Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:03 am

Hi all, I'm currently wieghing up weather or not to fix up my old kit or just buy another one. As part of this process I visited the local Music store (I'm a newbie to this town) and was shocked at the lack of knowledge of the drum gear they are selling. One of the 2nd hand kits caught my attention, A seven piece "pacific" kit. It looks like a clasic style kit with sparkly blue paint verey retro. The shop attendant new nothing about it & I've never heard of them, can anny one tell me annything about Pacific Drums?
Jah Sun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "Pacific Drums"...?????

Post  Mark [Admin] on Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:38 am

I think pacific drums are the first incarnation of the PDP range by Drum Workshop. PDP stands for pacific drums & percussion. Don't quote me on that though can you get pics?
Mark [Admin]
Admin

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  firetomysoul on Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:44 pm

yeah you're right there mark, Pacific drums and percussion, PDP is shite.
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jah Sun on Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:50 pm

Okay thank you for that guys, My original thaughts where to stay away from it & I guess I should just trust my instincts. Best to stick with the main brands tried and true. I'm thinking now that I'll just get my old beast up and running again, breath some life back into the old girl I'd never sell her so whats the point in keeping it If it never gets used??
Jah Sun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:16 pm

What kind of drums are your old beast?
Mark [Admin]
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jah Sun on Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:22 pm

1976 Pearl Inovatore with mahogany shells.
Jah Sun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:45 pm

Jah Sun wrote:1976 Pearl Inovatore with mahogany shells.

Cool man! Can you post some pics?
Mark [Admin]
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jah Sun on Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:36 am

I'll try, although at the mo they are just a collection of old shells no hardware or cymbols. I'm thinking of decking them out with a new rack & rims set up new cymbols etc...Mabey I should do befour and after shots.
Jah Sun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jah Sun on Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:46 am

What do you guys think is it worth taking out a fat loan for ???...........

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=233172457
Jah Sun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:39 pm

I have a friend who has the identical kit and reckons it sounds really good, I however am a terrible drum snob and would go for the Gretsch USA custom kit or Gretsch New Classic over those.
Mark [Admin]
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jah Sun on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:03 am

Well I took my time deciding and meanwhile some one else snaped it up. Oh well it was a lot of money for me, I think I'm gonna stick to my plan of doing up the pearl.
Jah Sun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:17 am

I don't think anyone brought it dude, top bid was $4500 reserve was $8000. With that kind of money you could get a top line DW with zildjians from the states shipped to your door!
Mark [Admin]
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jah Sun on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:26 am

I agree $8000 was too much but That link i posted was the offer that came back to us
watchers of the auction after it closed. The offer was for $5,500.
Jah Sun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

PDP

Post  gfresh123 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:10 pm

Just as comment on the quality of pdps. i have one the original cx series pdp kits that came out when they were first released and it sounds sweet! the snare is the downfall of the kit though so i replaced that. and the origonal skins do it no justice (as most origonal ones dont) so make sure you get those off as soon as. powerstroke 3 or 4's on the kick real loose sound massive for mic ing. been playing them for 4 years and they have never let me down. i would say it was one of the best kits you could buy in that price range. though i could have just been lucky (thats if dw aren't consistent with there "affordable range"). chur

gfresh123

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  T on Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:03 am

i'll agree with G Fresh,
i play a PDP kit every weekend, they come in a wide variety of sizes and most of them are Maple shells, just have to know what model the drums were... for instance the 1s that i play feel solid, and are relativly easy to tune, everyone i know that has played them likes their big rock sound.
also i had a tutor in australia that swore by them, after owning a Pearl Masters, and a DW kit he went to PDP and found that he was never dissapointed, going so far as to say that the shells were of the same quality as whatever DW puts out... they're only apparent weakness seems to be their snares. although for the most part i have never been very impressed with DW's metal and wood snares... although their EDGE is amazing, and haven't heard their new solid shell... the old one being a craviotto so doesn't count as DW!

cheers
T
T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:44 am

I posted about a PDP X7 kit I played on the other day was surprised at how good they sounded. T, on the subject of the DW snares i've had a number of wood shell drums over the years, to me they favor the high tuning and really work in that range so I wouldn't call them versatile. I think the early craviotto drums are the stars of their entire range.
Mark [Admin]
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  T on Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:17 am

quite possibly,
would love to hear one of those craviotto's sometime don't really see them in NZ. I have a mate who owns a 13x5 Edge, its crazy heavy but sounds fat!
i used to have a ho hum view of PDP until i actually started playing them, my only gripe with the kit at church is that its a 22" kick, where my preference is a nice 20".
yeah i know wat u mean bout the tuning range though. mine was a 14x6.5 brass, was stoked when i bought it coz i was young and it was DW, but never got any "Ballz" out of it, always sounded cracky, but tuned mid to low left it sounding unstable, so i'm still in search of the perfect brass snare. my nxt try will probably be the Pearl Sensitone NOB, or if i find a black beauty or sim for the right price then my wallet will hopefully be at the ready!
jst out of interest how much would a 14x6.5 beaded nickle over brass cost from WETA.
still need to check out more of your stuff eh, heard many good things online but never had the chance to listen for myself to any snares.

Cheers,
T
T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  firetomysoul on Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:51 am

hunt down a premier 14 x 9 brass snare.

Not cheap but man they are awesome.
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:07 am

I have a Noble & Cooley 14x7" cast bronze zildjian alloy snare which is amazing sounding. It was dropped before I got it so has a stress crack running up the shell. Still sounds great and not $3000 i'm thinking of selling it soon.
Mark [Admin]
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top