What setup are you using at the moment?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What setup are you using at the moment?

Post  Mark [Admin] on Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:21 am

Haven't changed mine much. Still 20,14,12 Rogers holidays in Black onyx but using a 14x5" slingerland artist snare in black diamond pearl. Cymbals 14" paiste sound creation dark sound edge bottom with super old and heavily hammered 14" super zyn on top, 20" 50's A zildjian crash/ride with 2 rivets, 22" bosphorus turk thin, 20" K const medium.
avatar
Mark [Admin]
Admin

Posts : 435
Join date : 2008-03-19

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What setup are you using at the moment?

Post  John on Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:11 am

late 70s Yamaha 9000 Series:
24x16 kick
18x16 floor
14x10 rack
14x6.5 maple Pearl Freefloater snare

16" Sabian AA Marching cymbals (as hats)
20" A Zildjian Medium Ride (as left side crash)
21" Sabian AA Rock Ride (as ride)
20" Meinl Raker Medium Ride (as right hand crash)

Occasionally swap out one of the crashes for an 18" Zildjian Avedis Crash Ride.

John

Posts : 33
Join date : 2008-04-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What setup are you using at the moment?

Post  peterbrittenden on Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:49 am

Black Premier APK's (22, 18, 16, 13); Royal Ace or 2000 snare, 22" Paiste Alpha heavy ride, 22" hand-hammered Sabian medium ride, 20" Paiste 2002 medium ride, 18" Zildjian crash.
avatar
peterbrittenden

Posts : 40
Join date : 2009-01-26
Age : 69
Location : christchurch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What setup are you using at the moment?

Post  firetomysoul on Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:16 pm

can i buy your 18"
avatar
firetomysoul

Posts : 200
Join date : 2008-06-02
Age : 30
Location : West Auckland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What setup are you using at the moment?

Post  peterbrittenden on Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:37 pm

firetomysoul wrote:can i buy your 18"

not for sale sorry...i bought it off a guy who had been using it as a bass drum (part of a mini-kit)....so full of holes (rack-tom mount etc)...in fact been a bit butchered. i'm restoring it but can't resist putting it back together to use in the meantime.
avatar
peterbrittenden

Posts : 40
Join date : 2009-01-26
Age : 69
Location : christchurch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What setup are you using at the moment?

Post  firetomysoul on Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:52 am

ahh so your the guy who bought it! i was about to and the auction closed!
avatar
firetomysoul

Posts : 200
Join date : 2008-06-02
Age : 30
Location : West Auckland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What setup are you using at the moment?

Post  peterbrittenden on Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:42 pm

firetomysoul wrote:ahh so your the guy who bought it! i was about to and the auction closed!

Yep...turned out to be an expensive exercise. The plan was to sell the two other two toms I bought in the auction to help pay for a Gibraltar cradle to use when I wanted to play the 18" as a bass drum but neither of the toms were Yamaha as advertised so sold for peanuts ($5 and $40). No big deal....I've still ended up with what will be a lovely multi-purpose 18" Premier floor tom. Bruce King's given me lots of good advice about restoring it to its former glory....reasonably relaxed about doing the woodwork part (six holes from 2mm up to 25mm diameter) but bit nervous about re-wrapping the drum!!
avatar
peterbrittenden

Posts : 40
Join date : 2009-01-26
Age : 69
Location : christchurch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What setup are you using at the moment?

Post  Mark [Admin] on Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:45 am

Was that the blue kit? wampro's one?
avatar
Mark [Admin]
Admin

Posts : 435
Join date : 2008-03-19

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What setup are you using at the moment?

Post  peterbrittenden on Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:30 am

Mark [Admin] wrote:Was that the blue kit? wampro's one?

yep....blue glitter...not sure who wampro is
avatar
peterbrittenden

Posts : 40
Join date : 2009-01-26
Age : 69
Location : christchurch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What setup are you using at the moment?

Post  DYNASONIC on Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:40 am

Mark [Admin] wrote:Was that the blue kit? wampro's one?
Suspect
'Wampro strikes' eh Mark .

DYNASONIC

Posts : 115
Join date : 2008-06-14
Location : auckland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What setup are you using at the moment?

Post  Mark [Admin] on Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:46 am

I thought he was selling that one as an 18" bass drum kit... who was the seller?
avatar
Mark [Admin]
Admin

Posts : 435
Join date : 2008-03-19

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What setup are you using at the moment?

Post  peterbrittenden on Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:54 pm

this was the sale http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=221690482
avatar
peterbrittenden

Posts : 40
Join date : 2009-01-26
Age : 69
Location : christchurch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What setup are you using at the moment?

Post  Mark [Admin] on Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:21 pm

peterbrittenden wrote:this was the sale http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=221690482

Yep seller is wampro
avatar
Mark [Admin]
Admin

Posts : 435
Join date : 2008-03-19

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What setup are you using at the moment?

Post  firetomysoul on Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:56 am

i'll say it wampro is an ahole.

destroyed what could possibly be the rarest 18" in the world.

Good luck with it.
avatar
firetomysoul

Posts : 200
Join date : 2008-06-02
Age : 30
Location : West Auckland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What setup are you using at the moment?

Post  John on Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:32 pm

peterbrittenden wrote:
firetomysoul wrote:ahh so your the guy who bought it! i was about to and the auction closed!

Yep...turned out to be an expensive exercise. The plan was to sell the two other two toms I bought in the auction to help pay for a Gibraltar cradle to use when I wanted to play the 18" as a bass drum but neither of the toms were Yamaha as advertised so sold for peanuts ($5 and $40). No big deal....I've still ended up with what will be a lovely multi-purpose 18" Premier floor tom. Bruce King's given me lots of good advice about restoring it to its former glory....reasonably relaxed about doing the woodwork part (six holes from 2mm up to 25mm diameter) but bit nervous about re-wrapping the drum!!


Hey Pete, you wouldn't happen to have a contact number for Bruce King would you? He's a hard man to track down!

Cheers mate Very Happy

John

Posts : 33
Join date : 2008-04-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

re bruce king contact details

Post  peterbrittenden on Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:56 pm

John wrote:
peterbrittenden wrote:
firetomysoul wrote:ahh so your the guy who bought it! i was about to and the auction closed!

Yep...turned out to be an expensive exercise. The plan was to sell the two other two toms I bought in the auction to help pay for a Gibraltar cradle to use when I wanted to play the 18" as a bass drum but neither of the toms were Yamaha as advertised so sold for peanuts ($5 and $40). No big deal....I've still ended up with what will be a lovely multi-purpose 18" Premier floor tom. Bruce King's given me lots of good advice about restoring it to its former glory....reasonably relaxed about doing the woodwork part (six holes from 2mm up to 25mm diameter) but bit nervous about re-wrapping the drum!!


Hey Pete, you wouldn't happen to have a contact number for Bruce King would you? He's a hard man to track down!


Bruce's phone number is 09-8285512 or email drumtechnz@yahoo.com...cheers

Cheers mate Very Happy
avatar
peterbrittenden

Posts : 40
Join date : 2009-01-26
Age : 69
Location : christchurch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What setup are you using at the moment?

Post  peterbrittenden on Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:57 pm

firetomysoul wrote:i'll say it wampro is an ahole.

destroyed what could possibly be the rarest 18" in the world.

Good luck with it.

interested to know why you think this FT is rare. cheers
avatar
peterbrittenden

Posts : 40
Join date : 2009-01-26
Age : 69
Location : christchurch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What setup are you using at the moment?

Post  Mark [Admin] on Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:33 am

Changed setup to a rock based kit. Yamaha 9000 recording series in black lacquer
22x16" kick
12,13, 16" toms
DW 14x6 snare
axis pedals
16,18,20 K's 14" new beats
avatar
Mark [Admin]
Admin

Posts : 435
Join date : 2008-03-19

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What setup are you using at the moment?

Post  firetomysoul on Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:48 am

peterbrittenden wrote:
firetomysoul wrote:i'll say it wampro is an ahole.

destroyed what could possibly be the rarest 18" in the world.

Good luck with it.

interested to know why you think this FT is rare. cheers

Put it this way. how many have i seen in the last 2 years internationally to find one?
1.
avatar
firetomysoul

Posts : 200
Join date : 2008-06-02
Age : 30
Location : West Auckland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What setup are you using at the moment?

Post  polar bear on Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:41 pm

Hello Chaps

I've been lurking around for a month or so, and thought I should say hi.

Here's my current rig, it's a Mapex V Series, in blue crackle finish (it's textured...wooo).
10x7 Rack Tom, 12x8 Rack Tom, 16x16 Floor tom, 14x5.5 Snare (unclipped for Timbale effect), 22x18 Bass Drum, 14x6.5 Pearl Ian Paice Signature Snare.

Mapex Hi-hat Stand, Taye PSK702c Double Kick (FTW!!)

Cymbals are left to right from behind:
14" Paiste PST5 Medium Hi-Hats
10" Paiste PST3 Splash
8" Orion Rage Bass Splash
18" Paiste Black Label 2002 Ride
18" Sabian AAX Dark Crash
18" Zildjian A Custom Projection Crash
20" Zildjian K Custom Ride
20" Agean Light Ride



It's a great sounding kit, and gets gigged regularly, backlining gigs here in Wellington. A lot of the chaps who have played it have commented on how good it sounds. It mics well as well.

I've had it since new, 2003, and am particually please with how well it plays.





Last edited by polar bear on Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pictures too big!)
avatar
polar bear

Posts : 22
Join date : 2009-08-11
Age : 33
Location : Wellington

View user profile http://www.throwittothefire.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Re: What setup are you using at the moment?

Post  Mark [Admin] on Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:02 pm

Welcome polar bear! looks like a nice tight setup, hows that ian paice snare sound? I've always wanted to try one of those.
avatar
Mark [Admin]
Admin

Posts : 435
Join date : 2008-03-19

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What setup are you using at the moment?

Post  polar bear on Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:24 pm

Hey. The Paice snare is awesome. Although it's not too different from a normal Pearl Sensitone. It does have snazzy lock nuts and an internal muffle which I find most useful. It's pretty versatile too, so that's a plus. REcords nicely, and projects well for live stuff, so yes, can't really fault it! Very Happy
avatar
polar bear

Posts : 22
Join date : 2009-08-11
Age : 33
Location : Wellington

View user profile http://www.throwittothefire.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Re: What setup are you using at the moment?

Post  Mark [Admin] on Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:31 pm

polar bear wrote:Hey. The Paice snare is awesome. Although it's not too different from a normal Pearl Sensitone. It does have snazzy lock nuts and an internal muffle which I find most useful. It's pretty versatile too, so that's a plus. REcords nicely, and projects well for live stuff, so yes, can't really fault it! Very Happy

I'd say from the looks of it they based it on the Ludwig LM402 14x6.5" 10lug suraphonic that both John Bonham and Ian paice played
in the 70's. That head you are using on it looks interesting what is it?
avatar
Mark [Admin]
Admin

Posts : 435
Join date : 2008-03-19

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What setup are you using at the moment?

Post  polar bear on Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:58 pm

It is pretty awesome.

That head is an Evans EC reverse dot batter head. Replacing the original Ambassador that lasted me about 18 months Very Happy.

It's a really good head for rock, which is predominantly what I play, I've been told that it works well for big hitters too. It's lasting well so far, very few marks if any in fact.
avatar
polar bear

Posts : 22
Join date : 2009-08-11
Age : 33
Location : Wellington

View user profile http://www.throwittothefire.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Re: What setup are you using at the moment?

Post  firetomysoul on Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:56 am

yeah everyone i know who has an ian paice sig snare swears by it, the do sound pretty phenomenal
avatar
firetomysoul

Posts : 200
Join date : 2008-06-02
Age : 30
Location : West Auckland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What setup are you using at the moment?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum