OK, I'll start this off. 60's Ludwig restoration

View previous topic View next topic Go down

OK, I'll start this off. 60's Ludwig restoration

Post  Andrew G on Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:26 am

Here's where I'm at so far.

The kit was in a pretty poor state - wrong rack tom, consolette rail wrong (with extra holes), no keystone badges, no internal muffler on FT, wrong BD hoops, no BD mounted cymbal holder and all very filthy. BD wrap has damage but will remain in place as it looks pretty good now.

Have managed to find a matching tom with the right wrap and in great nick, a correct consolette rail, muffler, badges, wooden hoops (not shown) and the whole thing has been stripped and cleaned, polished, waxed etc.

As advertised

Before

Before

before

After

After

after

Will post some more when finished.

Andrew G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: OK, I'll start this off. 60's Ludwig restoration

Post  Mark [Admin] on Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:19 am

Whoa, nice work man! That thing looks awesome Think the keystone is the wrong way round on the kick though.
Have you got the hoops yet? Easy enough to plug the extra holes left from the jap rail mount just get some pieces
of maple dowel (or similar) that is the same diameter and glue them in make sure they are inset slightly the easy part is
painting them white on the inside, the hard part is finding the blue oyster material to make the hole caps. If you have some
use a hole punch or similar to make small circles of wrap material to glue in the holes. Be hard to tell there was any extra holes
after that. Nice to see such a beautiful kit getting the respect it deserves.
Mark [Admin]
Admin

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew G on Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:58 am

you'd make a good trainspotter Mark. I think I like the badge round that way....now that it's fixed in place. Yes, I have the hoops. I've painted them but they need a couple more coats to finish. Drummaker sent some blue oyster inlay strips but they are not even close so they may remain plan black for now.
I've dowelled up the holes and I may pinch a bit or the wrap off the dodgy rack tom to cover them.

It'll be playable very soon. Should be good.

BTW I've been recording an album down here and I used my El cheapo tiger stripe Pearl 12 and 16 toms as they sounded pretty good. Ian Morris has just finished mixing the first track and couldn't believe how good the toms sounded without needing any EQing or tweaking at all. And so many people think that old Japanese Luan stuff is useless. Decent heads and a good tune is all they need.

Andrew G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:48 pm

It's true... I can spot an american vintage kit from a 1000 yards. The colour matches really well. I'm not surprise the pearls sound good,
something I discovered through building drums is any cylinder with good heads will sound good even the imperfection of vintage drums adds
to the character.
Mark [Admin]
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew G on Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:37 am

And here is the (almost) finished article. Just waiting on the '64 Supraphonic to show up on my door step. Experimenting with just 1 felt strip on the BD reso for muffling. Quite like that booming sound. Coated Emperor batters and Ambassador resos for the record. I am sick of buying new heads though; stupidly expensive.

Andrew G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:45 pm

Great resto! That kit looks great, I like the head choice too how did you do the ludwig logo on front kick head?
I reckon you should sacrifice the wrap on the jap tom and make inlay strips.
Mark [Admin]
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DYNASONIC on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:43 pm

Very Happy top job Andrew ,great to see a resto of vintage Luds of any degree,but you raised the bar with these ,very cool,good to see the Dyna is wired up and firing.

DYNASONIC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew G on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:56 pm

Thanks chaps. Got the logo from Drummaker.com. They initially sent the wrong one so I now have a spare modern Ludwig logo.
Yeah, I may have a crack at removing the wrap off the Jap tom. It's pretty useless as a tom. Now that I've stripped all the Luddy hardware off it looks more like a collander with all the extra drill holes in it. The trick will be to get enough strips that don't have holes I guess. Those Drummaker hoops are slightly oversized too, just enough to make getting even tension a bit tricky. The claws are going to need a tweak to fit comfortably over the hoop edges too.
And yes the Dyna is going good thanks. Have just recorded an album with that and it sounds great. I'm waiting for a '64 Supra that i bought off ebay too so I should be sorted for snares.

Andrew G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:14 pm

You need a heat gun and heat a small strip section of wrap at a time while using a thin blade putty knife to lift it usually helps to have a another person helping at the same time. Then sand the back with a power sander. You'll love the supra as much as the dyna but then you need some wood drums for contrast cheers so I believe your snare buying days aren't over yet.
Mark [Admin]
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew G on Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:44 am

Managed to get some inlay strips for the BD hoops from a bloke in England. Not a perfect match but pretty close. The 64 Supra arrived so the job is now done.

Andrew G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:59 am

Holy crap! top job mate! Looks amazing and I bet sounds even better cyclops
Mark [Admin]
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content