30's Premier 'Magna'

View previous topic View next topic Go down

30's Premier 'Magna'

Post  Mark [Admin] on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:43 pm

Am in the process of restoring this at the moment. Was advertised as a 14x5" but being Premier and earlier than the late 30's it has
an old pre-international sized shell. Drum is just under 14" x 5 heavy brass shell with 6 brass tube lugs missing part of the strainer
but has both straight hoops which is how I identified it. Top hoop says "premier magna" british made.

My problem is how to get it playable with modern heads luckily it is really close to 14", the original straight hoops are out because
they are made for 13 and 3 1/4's. Secondly I have a bunch of tube lug spacers and used the 3mm black that are used to get standard
bass/tom tube lugs up to necessary height for bass drum use. After removing lugs I polished the shell but didn't go to town on it as I
wanted it to still look like an old drum.

Also had to replace the washers which were nasty! They were a cut spring type which gouged the metal as you undid them replaced
with stainless spring and flat. I initially thought i'd use modern triple flange 6 hole hoops (which I had although rusty) but they had too much
play outside the diameter of the drum head hoop edge and the tension rods were splayed. So the only option was straight hoops in 14" size
after firing off some emails and checking ebay in search of them I found them staring at me in the garage! they came off an old english gigster
snare drum and were true 14". They fit perfect and the drum takes modern tension (square head bolts). All i'm waiting for now is 6 hoop clips
and a gibralter piccolo strainer and she's good to go.
Mark [Admin]
Admin

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 30's Premier 'Magna'

Post  Andrew G on Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:59 am

that's real nice. I'd be interested to know how it sounds.
I've been thinking it would be fun to put together a 20s/30s style kit. Big BD, marching drum maybe, woodblocks etc and a chinese drum for a mounted tom (I saw one of these on TM but didn't know what they were then). I have an old Carlton tenor drum with calf skins that'll make a good FT. This is the sort of snare that would fit the bill too.

Andrew G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:38 am

Finally finished her off, sounds great but off to trademe land she goes as I already have a couple of 30's brass shell drums.
Managed to resurrect the old original strainer so no need for any extra holes.

Mark [Admin]
Admin

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top