Zildjian crash cymbal?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Zildjian crash cymbal?

Post  Bullfrog on Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:37 am

what is a good strong crash cymbal to buy from the zildjian range that wont crack. only looking at pro level quality. i mostly play paistes so not really up on the play when it comes to zildjians. have recently developed a taste for the A customs since buying some 14" hats. Also a bit disillusioned with paiste as my signatures have all cracked now and i dont consider myself an overly hard hitter. in saying that they are still one of my most fav sounding crashes. I play mostly rock/metal
cheers guys farao
Bullfrog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Zildjian crash cymbal?

Post  Mark [Admin] on Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:48 pm

The Z Custom Mediums sound alright and will probably hang in there under heavy playing but
if you want nicer sounding (more musical) crashes i'd go for the A custom projection crashes
I had a 17" that was killer. I think they do A Custom mediums in larger sizes too.
Mark [Admin]
Admin

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bullfrog on Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:52 pm

thanks for your reply Mark, ill have to check those ones out. have you heard the new line of Z3's by any chance? i havent personally, but ive read good things about them online.
So hard choosing new cymbals, soo much choice now days
Bullfrog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  firetomysoul on Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:13 am

yeah Mark's right, can't go past the projection crashes, i got a sixteen and i use it quite a bit like i got my 18 and 19 a custom crashes but the projection goes mint with like a 4 on the floor and thrashing it, just sounds pure hardcore, or you play mellow and all the overtones really shimmer.
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  granstar on Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:18 am

My pick is A customs also, they go well with my Sabian AAX's.
Projection are nice to play in big rooms Cool but if you are gigging about you need cymbs that are useful in most situations to cover all volumes, if you are doing arenas regularly go for em.

You shouldn't be breaking brass unless thin weight cymbals, even then you shouldn't damage them if you play them nice. Perhaps analyze your playing technique. Are you holding your sticks too tight?
First i'd check you are mounting cymbals correctly - angled from direct blows, and with no metal to cymbal contact.
granstar

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/noideanz

Back to top Go down

Post  Bullfrog on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:00 am

Ive now got a 17" A custom projection and an 18" AAXplosion on there way from the states. The paistes that cracked were all secondhand off ebay. And to replace them is alot more than zildjians or sabians(overpriced in my opinion, and hard to come by secondhand)
Thanks to you guys for your all your input. I live in a small town so cant test these cymbals, plus when i get to a city i usually find they never seem to have the ones i wanna test anyway?
Bullfrog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  granstar on Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:40 am

You should be happy with your ballpark choice for rock Cool

FYI Kenny Aronoff only uses 2 same 19" A customs for crashes santa
granstar

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/noideanz

Back to top Go down

Post  Bullfrog on Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:32 am

granstar wrote:You should be happy with your ballpark choice for rock Cool

FYI Kenny Aronoff only uses 2 same 19" A customs for crashes santa

yeah both cymbals have exceptional reviews on all the big box US sites so fingers crossed.

So now my next thing is to get a new ride if anyone wants to recommend any? lm currently using a 20" 2002 ride which is pretty average. Im after a rock based ride? doesnt have to have an amazing crash as i dont really crash my ride that often. something with a good sized bell and reasonably short decay would be nice also... decisions decisions??? scratch
Bullfrog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:17 pm

paiste sig dry heavy
Mark [Admin]
Admin

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content