Bearing edges re cut

:: Market Place :: Wanted

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bearing edges re cut

Post  ShamRock on Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:42 am

I have an old set of oak sonor phonics, unfortunately the bearing edges on the batter side of the 13" and 16" toms are munted and need to be re-cut.
Anyone out there can do this for me, or know of someone who can ?

ShamRock

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bearing edges re cut

Post  firetomysoul on Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:09 am

pm mark, he'd probably be able to do it for you
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ShamRock on Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:29 am

Exclamation

ShamRock

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  granstar on Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:17 am

Someone like Weta drums may have the machine? Can't access their web site, Question try Drum City as they sell their gear.

I have cut (more shaped) edges on an old kit bound for the tip with success. The edges were very round as they were back in the 50's - 60's. I made a jig with a piece of wood with an angle cut close to my Tama kit then just put some sandpaper inside the angle and worked my way around the edge reshaping it. I increased grit size as i got to finishing pass overs. It's primitive, but if the angle is consistent and the edge is true, it works. Filled any small holes with wood putty.Check trueness by placing drum on dead flat surface (glass, marble, granite slab)and check with torch to see if shines under edge. At least it made the drums useable, and they came alive in tone with the angle on them.
However, if the kit is of some value, i would pursue someone with the gear to do it properly.
granstar

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/noideanz

Back to top Go down

Post  ShamRock on Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:59 am

Thanks for the suggestions, but Weta drums is Mark.
Drum city suggested Bruce King ,
Bruce dresses vintage rounded over edges by hand in a similar way to how you described.
I have done this myself on vintage shells before , I believe that in the sixties and further back the edges were done this way (by hand) in the factory. Which is all good but I need to have the edges recut to 45 degrees ,to bring these beautiful drums back to there sonic glory ..and it rules out doing them by hand really.
It may cost a bomb but I might have to look at sending them overseas to get the job done

ShamRock

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  firetomysoul on Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:53 am

get a router and a 45 degree bit with a roller bearing get a thick piece of perspex and screw it into the bottom of the router, that will give you something you can keep it level with across the shell. move the router round the shell cutting a little bit off, repeat inside and use a fine sand paper to take any burr and sharp edge off. double 45, not much time.
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:42 am

Sorry, just got back from holiday and saw this post I have temporarily shut Weta down until early this year. Reason:
We have moved from south Auckland to North Auckland and I haven't set my workshop up yet. If you need re-edging
I suggest you contact bruce king he will send me drums that need machine edging. Thanks, and happy new year pirat
Mark [Admin]
Admin

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

45 deg bearing edges

Post  grunta57 on Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:15 am

Yes can help - best with a router and flat table, you first need a sanding base made out of thick glass as the head face needs to be checked for flatness and sanded a bit if necessary. Where are you situated I can assist. BTW Ludwig had it right when they got away from the 12-15 deg flattish bearing edge batters (these don't lend themselves to a well-defined bearing edge definition IMO)

grunta57

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top