Toms are not ringing anymore !!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Toms are not ringing anymore !!

Post  Parsifaal on Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:25 am

Hi guys !

Ok so basically i bought a second hand mapex kit a couple of month ago. Everything was fine until recently when the toms 1 and 2 stopped ringing...

What happens exactly is that the toms sounds fine when i tune them and even attach them to the mounting but as soon as i plug the mounting into the bass drum they stop ringing. It's like the bass drum is muffling their sound, totally absorbing the resonance...

I.ve tried a few things like moving the joints inside the hole in the B-drum, tuning the B-drum differently, nothing works ! Those toms won't ring as soon as they are plugged into to B-drum...

Ideas anyone ? I WANT the toms to ring, like on a jazz kit (i'm saying this because i know a lot of drummers look for the opposite, i used to as well)

PS: the kit is the really basic one from mapex, voyager series

Parsifaal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Toms are not ringing anymore !!

Post  Mark [Admin] on Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:04 pm

Hey dude, try a resonance isolation mount or equivalent. Rims make some good low weight
alloy ones but they are pricey. Pearl optimounts will also work and there are tons of rims rip
offs out there. They allow the drum to hang without touching the mounting hardware and
give the drum a longer note.
Mark [Admin]
Admin

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  peterbrittenden on Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:14 pm

I've found that what I hear from my drums while playing is quite different from what projects out the front. Perhaps get someone else to play your kit and hear what it sounds like. Also make sure neither of the toms are touching the bass drum at all.You say the toms stopped ringing. Do you mean they sounded fine at some stage but that changed?
peterbrittenden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  echo on Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:49 am

I've heard that raising the toms a bit higher in relation to the bass drum can make a significant difference.

echo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top