Buying cymbals from the states?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Buying cymbals from the states?

Post  rocketshiptown on Fri May 27, 2011 7:48 am

Hey guys, Im looking at getting some high end cymbals and i noticed that i could save a lot of money get them from the states.
Is this a good option or is it too good to be true?
Will customs crack down on me and charge me heaps of extra things or is it worth it?
If you've had experience with getting things in from the states could you please give me some advice.

Thanks, Jonny

rocketshiptown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Buying cymbals from the states?

Post  Mark [Admin] on Sat May 28, 2011 2:05 am

Hi Jonny,

it is waaay cheaper to buy cymbals from the states especially at the moment with the high NZ dollar
however there have been changes at NZ Customs which are little known. See here for more info,

http://www.consumer.org.nz/news/view/new-import-transaction-fee

Basically it's luck of the draw sometimes it comes through no fee, other times they charge you
before they will release it. Having said that it would still probably work out cheaper...
Mark [Admin]
Admin

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rocketshiptown on Sun May 29, 2011 1:08 pm

so concerning having to pay GST on the cymbals, would it be better to ship them all at once or one at a time, ignoring the cost of shipping.
i would quite like to not have to pay GST

rocketshiptown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Sun May 29, 2011 7:59 pm

Ship them all at once you'll save on shipping which is expensive from the states.
You have to pay GST, on any new goods that come into the country will still likely
work out cheaper though. Make sure you do your calculations first.
Mark [Admin]
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DYNASONIC on Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:31 am

rocketshiptown wrote:so concerning having to pay GST on the cymbals, would it be better to ship them all at once or one at a time, ignoring the cost of shipping.
i would quite like to not have to pay GST
Smile
anything from the USA comes into the country with a cost of under $400.00 NZ is not charged gst or import duties ,its a matter of cost (including shipping ) thats the kicker kiwi side as customs adds the two (cost and shipping) to get a figure total, so you have to way up the extra NZ import costs versus individual shipping etc ,USPS International Priority is the cheapest with a max of 70lbs per package, per say the average 22" Zildjian weighs in at aprox 5-6 lbs plus packaging ,so a cost of $48.00 US is expected,its no cheaper (only packaging cost and someone at the other end to do it) to add more cymbals into the package as the cost is on the weight.

DYNASONIC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aish on Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:10 am

I do agree with "DYNASONIC" suggest you....anything from the USA comes into the country with a cost of under $400.00 NZ is not charged gst or import duties...So when you decide to but anything first see its shipping charges also.

aish

View user profile http://www.electricheaters.ie/

Back to top Go down

Post  rocketshiptown on Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:55 am

So an update.
basically I got what I wanted from the states with the help of a friend who lives over there and saved myself quite a decent amount of money doing so, rather than buying from any dealers in new zealand.
Thanks for the advice guys and hopefully this thread will help others out in the future.

rocketshiptown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:02 am

What'd ya get?
Mark [Admin]
Admin

Back to top Go down

Buying Cymbals from the states

Post  MarcSmart on Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:05 am

Hi I was wondering if I could get any recommendations on cymbals sizes. I bought a 21" Meinl byzance traditional medium ride, and just last week, I got a pair of 14" meinl byzance dark hihats, both from the states. Currently for a crash I just have a cheap tama hihat top, though in the future I was wanting to upgrade and get two new crashes. I was thinking of picking medium thin byzance traditional crashes either as 16" & 18" or 17" & 19". Though i'm not to sure what to consider as the other factor aside from sound, that i'm looking for is that the crashes aren't too loud, as when I crash my ride it can get a bit too loud if its being played in a room with bad acoustics. Would smaller be better to play more quietly or is it allright to consider getting a 17 & 19 inch crashes, or possibly would it be better just to go for the thin weighted models? I wish I could just try some out, but from my own personal experience the rockshop have not got any of the cymbals i'm interested in buying in stock.

MarcSmart

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:11 pm

Hi Marc, it depends really - if volume is a problem I think the thins are a good choice,
plus they are going to respond faster and have a lower more pleasing pitch. I don't use
16" crashes anymore so my vote would be for 17" and 18" I'd only go to a 19" if I was doing
a lot of wall of sound crash riding...
Mark [Admin]
Admin

Back to top Go down

Buying Cymbals from the states?

Post  MarcSmart on Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:46 am

Hey Mark,

I was probably going to get ones with 2" difference as they have a wider range in sound and better tonal balance,
but it's hard buying overseas / online because, its literally buying blind when you cannot compare them to your own current cymbals.
Though i'm quite fortunate enough to deal with Tony from "Cymbals Only" and he is going to test out the different weights and sizes to get the best match to the Meinl Byzance 21" medium traditional ride in the shop. Which is probably the best option I can do without trying them. Thanks for the advice!

MarcSmart

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rocketshiptown on Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:46 am

Mark [Admin] wrote:What'd ya get?

14" meinl byzance medium dark hats
18" meinl byzance medium thin crash
20" meinl byzance medium crash
24" meinl byzance medium ride (its a beast)

this cymbal setup is basically a wall of beautiful washy sound but it can get out of hand if your not carefull or in a small venue

got them through mycymbal.com
this website is cool because they post good quality videos of each individual cymbal in stock being played. so you can see and hear the exact cymbal before you make a purchase

rocketshiptown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  echo on Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:04 am

I bought some used cymbals from Gerry porter at hazelshould.com. He has good descriptions / photos / soundfiles and he's very quick and the payment system is fairly hassle free to. He happened to have what I was looking for and within a week I had on my doorstep a set of cymbals I could never afford to get new in NZ, and I would be waiting a lifetime or more for them to turn up on the second hand market here (not to mention spending half my time on trademe). Shipping was relativley cheap, and there were no hidden costs.
I was sweating about having to pay GST and admin costs to get them released at this end but it never happened. Guess I was one of the lucky.
All in all it couldn't have gone better.
Again it was just a fluke he had what I wanted all at one time.

I had been looking at some Australian suppliers but none were really interested and their prices were only good when they had clearence sales. Apparently a lot of Aussies are buying stateside as well and some stores are countering this with cheaper prices, but they're still way off for me while the Aussie dollar is high.

After you've done the maths the USA is still a winner at the moment, if you're looking at a big high quality purchase, new or used.

echo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  echo on Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:07 am

Oh, and I got Gerry to invoice me seperately for the shipping, but the value was still way over $400NZ.
So... ??

echo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew G on Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:56 am

what did you get?

Andrew G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  echo on Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:49 am

All Paiste Signatures:

13" Dark Crisp Hats
17" Full Crash
18" Reflector Heavy Full Crash
22" Dry Heavy Ride

The hats and crashes are basically like new. The ride has some minor wear but it's built like the rock of gibralter and would survive a nuclear attack... you can't get it new in 22" anymore.

All told it cost me just over half the price of buying them new here. Each cymbal, including postage and all costs, cost me around 50 to 60 percent of local sellers advertised price.

Granted these are second hand, but they are in excellent condition and Gerry is very clear on his website if there is damage. The downside is you have no way of knowing the history of use/abuse of the items. There is a right of return policy. I can't remember how long it lasts, but you want to be sure, as you will end up paying postage both ways if you send anything back. Needless to say i'm very happy with these. If I just wanted A Customs I could probably wait for them to eventually come up on Trademe but if top-line Paistes are your thing it's not that simple.

And if you want new stuff there are other sites mentioned above that seem to be pretty good with international sales to.

I don't mean to ramble about this, but if, like me, you are fed up with prices of drums, cymbals and gear at your local, it's clear that there are some onto-it chaps in the states who are all too happy to cater to our market... so hit-em-up while the dollars high! BUT... do your research.

Wink

echo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

NZ Tax system.

Post  ching on Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:41 am

I don't know if it is the same as in Canada but if you can get the shipper to put down either gift or sample on the papers there is no taxes on stuff then.I know it works here in Canada.

ching

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top