Hayman Drums

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hayman Drums

Post  Mark [Admin] on Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:24 am

Well, there have been a few of these popping up on trademe over recent months so I though i'd post on these fantastic vintage kits from England. Hayman drums were the brainchild of Ivor Arbiter who used to run the famous Drum City in London – while working there he realised most of the kits sold were american import kits, mainly ludwig's and wanted to launch an english brand which would be better received than the premier, beverley and carlton kits of the period which were considered to be un cool. He teamed up with the owner of carlton and together they produced drums under the 'Hayman" name which are fantastic looking and sounding drums.

1969 was the year that Hayman drums were first seen by the public. Poduction started in late 1968 when Ivor Arbiter joined forces with long standing drum makers, John E. Dallas & Sons, to take over the Carlton brand of drum kits.

Ivor Arbiter wanted to produce a drum kit in England that sounded just as good as American kits. From experiments and prototype Ivor discovered that the drums needed a hard lining to coat the inside of the shell to improve the characteristics of the drums sound. A shell maker from Dallas - George Haymon - developed the "Vibrasonic" lining. It was a hard layer of polyurethane, which was built up over 5 coats and this was far superior to other coated drums of the time. This lining improved the projection and resonance of the drums. Further development of the kit was carried out by Gerry Waller, formerly at Premier and Gerry Evans, who would go on to bring about the success at Pearl drums.

The kits where marketed as "George Hayman.", but this was later shortened to "Hayman". These drums where officially launched in February 1969 and took the drum market by storm.

If you find a set of Haymans, chances are they will have been re-finished as the melinex over foil finishes do not age well, chances are the snare drums will be mising as well due to the fact they are highly sought after. But I encourage you to hear one of these vintage sets if you get the chance as they are great sounding.
Mark [Admin]
Admin

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hayman Drums

Post  mty on Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:25 am

i have a Hayman snare and I just used it in the studio for a song on our 2nd album and it sounds great with that 70's rock tone. I had a lighter coated ambassador batter on it and can up really nice. Here's a pic soon after i got it

http://www.recliner.co.nz/images/gear/hs1.jpg

I have since bought an original hayman throwoff and replaced the Pearl one the previous owner had fitted (grrrr)

mty

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/selonrecliner

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:32 am

I have since bought an original hayman throwoff and replaced the Pearl one the previous owner had fitted (grrrr)[/quote]
ahh yes, I remember hearing that snare when I visited Mark pollards (original owner) house. He always did enjoy drilling holes in things!
Mark [Admin]
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hayman drums

Post  mallydog on Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:35 am

I have a 5piece kit without bottom hoops, single skined and was very surprised how good the tonage comes out, low with a definate pitch, I was expecting a dogs breakfast but they arnt bad at all. I dont have the snare so I added a premier chrome over metal and they work well togeather. White kit has very hard resin outside coating.

mallydog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mty on Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:49 am

i think i saw that set on Trademe not so long ago

mty

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:58 am

yeah, I was watching that one - no bottom lugs - I have never seen them without bottom lugs in the catalouges so i'd love to know if the holes were filled and painted over?
Mark [Admin]
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mty on Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:14 am

i'd say they were - but they're still haymans! Such good drums

mty

Back to top Go down

haymens

Post  mallydog on Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:42 am

It doesnt look like they ever had bottom hoops, very strong looks like resen outside shell coating.

mallydog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:52 am

can you post some pics mate?
Mark [Admin]
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hayman Drums

Post  drumbum on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:39 am

Hey guys,

I just purchased a 12", a 13", and a 16" tom. I haven't done much with them but they sound great. Some plonker in the past has covered them with a bright orange self adhesive vinyl and ripped the badges off them.

Would be interested in a Kick if any one out there has a kick by itself or would consider selling these to help someone else make up a set.

drumbum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:30 am

Hi Drumbum, saw those ones, wonder what happened to the bass drum?
While not impossible to find a hayman bass drum by itself, certainly not very
common to even find full kits in NZ.
Mark [Admin]
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hayman Drums!!

Post  pauldrums on Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:47 pm

I have the misfortune to collect Hayman drums (the misfortune is the cost of storage!!!) They are great drums and I still use a 20" or 18" bass drum with 12" & 14" toms. Although I own several Hayman snares, including an Alloy one I use a DW Bronze with the kit. These are in Midnight Blue. I have a Gold kit, hardly used which I always used on New Year’s Eve. I now have about 50 Hayman drums mainly Midnight Blue and Gold.

I also have many spares including factory new lugs and tension rods; I bought in 1973/4 when the factory in Shoeburyness closed.

Anyway, although I live in the UK, I would love to hear from anyone in Kiwi Land who wants to chat about Hayman Drums.

Paul McKenna

pauldrums

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew G on Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:13 pm

Hey Paul, you weren't the guy on that hoarders program were you?Smile 

I have a recording set (18/12/14 + sn) that I picked up locally, and Mark who runs this forum has a similar kit. To be honest I don't play the Hayman kit much but I loving having it sitting there looking pretty. I have used the snare to record with though. I also met a young drummer local to me that has a Hayman kit that needs some resto. I haven't seen it yet but I said I'd help her out finding parts at some point. So stand by.
http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=64&u=14273398

Andrew G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hayman Drums

Post  pauldrums on Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:59 pm

Hi Andrew,

Yes, I was the guy on Storage Horders!!

I went last week to move my drum etc to a smaller, cheaper unit only to find that the unit had suffered from Water Ingress, that's ALLIGATOR storage for you they include water!! and maybe alligators!!

Some of my Hayman double Tom Tom holders suffered and are now rusty and a prototype as well. All they sad was to claim on the insurance, that ok but where do I buy 4 x Hayman double Tom Holders???

Nice pic of your kit. Good nick. On my 18" BD the tom holder has had an extra bit welded into it making it about 3"s longer so the tom can sit high.

I've just come back from playing a shopping mall gig and one guy came up and said 'I used to have a Hayman Kit and wish I never got rid of it!' So they are well remembered.

BW
Paul

pauldrums

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew G on Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:37 pm

Ah yes, I thought maybe you let that gold kit go a bit cheap but I'm glad you kept the rest. Shame about the water. I have an average condition double tom holder but it's probably not much better than the water damaged ones. My kit came with 12 and 13 toms on the double holder but I converted it to the catalogue set up which is the set up I play anyway.

You really should post some photos here of your awesome collection

Andrew G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Gold Hayman

Post  pauldrums on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:52 pm

Ahhhh! The guy in the shop on Storage Hoarders was not really interested as the TV company f'd up! The first words the guy in the shop said were "Where are the drums?" The TV co only had photos! So I still have the kit(s). Shame you live across the other side of the world! I have 20" 22" bd's various tom's and a snare all in gold. It is interesting that there are slight differences in the colour tones. Arbiter also produced different tom tom crowns with different size 'teeth' and arms. So so!! I have 12”13” 14” 16” toms in gold, the 14” being a floor tom. Arbiter did some 14 x8 mounted toms as well, but I can't remember if I have a gold one or not! I have about 50 - 60 Hayman drums and I need to do a current stock take. In November I am running a DRUMBLE sale to try and move some of my 'stuff'.
I have a Premier Soundwave kit with an 18" Projector BD and on investigation it must be one of the only one ever made. The guy I bought the kit from told me he had asked Premier directly to give him a 22" & 18". When I checked the catalogue Soundwave did not have an 18" - it’s just going on EBAY!!

BW paul
Pauldrums
At
Aol.com

pauldrums

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew G on Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:30 pm

I'm glad you kept that kit, especially at that price. My kit is somewhere between silver and gold. I don't know whether it's faded gold ingot or silver that's gone a bit gold. There are no clues under the lugs either.

Andrew G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

White Hayman

Post  Adznz on Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:44 pm

I am the owner of the "bottom hoop less" kit people have been talking about. The white 5 piece kit 3 up top one on the floor and I happen to own the matching snare as well. I have toured most of the north island playing on the drums usually with a trap kit set up, mounting the 12 on a stand and then the 16 on the floor sometimes i would put the 14 on another snare stand and run 1 up 2 down which was killer!!! I also use a ludwig supraphonic snare. I have owned the kit for maybe 4-3 years and I love it. Maybe someone on here knows more about its history and maybe what its worth ???  Very Happy 

Adznz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew G on Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:58 am

Got any photos Adznz?

Andrew G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adznz on Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:20 pm

Andrew G wrote:Got any photos Adznz?

I will post some once i'm back from Chile in 14 days.  Wink 

Adznz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adznz on Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:38 am

Hello, here is the pictures of my hayman drum kit finally i've found some space to quickly set them up for a jam and to take the pictures, the first picture is of the kit with my ludwig supraphonic snare and the second is a picture of what I believe to be the original or matching snare the kit has more pieces but I prefer to play as a standard trap kit, less is more I guess.

If you want any more pictures or pics of certain parts just ask and I will happily upload them.

Any info about this kit i.e. age, background, value would be greatly appreciated.

Adznz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adznz on Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:57 am

[quote="Adznz"]
Andrew G wrote:Got any photos Adznz?

Theres some mate
 Wink 

Adznz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew G on Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:14 am

Nice. So is there any sign of filled holes for the bottom tom lugs? I've never heard of a Hayman concert tom kit but maybe they did produce a few. The original snare is a cracker, I really like them.

Andrew G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adznz on Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:38 am

Andrew G wrote:Nice. So is there any sign of filled holes for the bottom tom lugs? I've never heard of a Hayman concert tom kit but maybe they did produce a few. The original snare is a cracker, I really like them.

There is as you say filled holes, so I guess at some stage there were bottom lugs etc... but I would say they were removed a long time ago. Nevertheless I think It sounds and looks better without them. Do you have any idea of when it was maybe made or the current value? Not that I would sell them  Very Happy

Adznz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew G on Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:49 pm

Concert toms are making a come back in some circles. I'd say it dates to the early 70s. Value wise it's hard to say. They are not widely known here but they are great kits. Probably $500-$700 for the bass, toms and snare at a guess.

There's a Hayman Facebook group that's worth following https://www.facebook.com/groups/10274216835/

Andrew G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top