Pricing, the web and hello there ...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pricing, the web and hello there ...

Post  NZRS-Dave on Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:20 am

Hi all,

My name is Dave from the NZ Rockshops. Hope you are all well. I hang out at the NZ Guitars forum and went there initially to put out some mis-information flame wars that were going on. It's been about 4 years now and I've made some good pals on and off the forum.

I also get a lot price inquiries and have done a crap-load of deals for people who looked overseas and felt our price was too expensive. The problem is that our suppliers set the price on a lot of gear and they don't always set it right. In some cases, we have some flexbility - but without being rude - we can't give you a better price if you don't ask.

And you won't offend me, and it's not rude to ask for a cheaper price. We can't possibly compete with every single deal on the net - but we can get pretty darn close - if we know about them.

One of my friends flicked me a message saying that I might be interested in getting involved here because there's a lot a pricing issues going on here.

I would love to see some real world examples of what's too expensive here in NZ, so that I can hit on the some of the suppliers with real-world examples.

Rock on.

NZRS-Dave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pricing, the web and hello there ...

Post  DYNASONIC on Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:54 am

Question ok give us some examples on your best price on remo ambassador heads for example.
Let us know about discounted accessories you have on specials old stock etc (if the web master gives that the ok) .
I tried to buy some Gibraltar stands from your store last month and was told you would not have stock for six months ??? maybe some houses need putting in order before you can gain support ??.

DYNASONIC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NZRS-Dave on Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:05 am

Hi Dynasonic,

What were the Gibraltar stands that you were after? If the supplier is out of stock, then we are in the unfortunate position of waiting for the next shipment to arrive. And given that we are in the back waters of the world it is a fact that things take a while to get here. We have to pre-order up 8-9 months ahead in some cases so with that sort of crystal ball gazing it is going to go wrong sometimes.

Let me know what the stands were and I'll see what we can do for you.

As for the Remo Ambassador heads ... give me a model. What do they need to be? How far off are they? Where are you looking at other pricing?

As for this bit ...

maybe some houses need putting in order before you can gain support ??.

... I think you'll find the houses are well in order. And I am here asking the questions, so let's see what we can do.

--Dave

NZRS-Dave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew G on Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:54 am

Hi Dave, how about 14" Remo coated ambassador snare head. Pretty common head purchase for a lot of drummers. A quick look on Amazon US and they are available at US$11.57 ($14.38nz) from Music123 (retail). Your price $29.00 (on your website) which is the cheapest they've been for a long time. I know there's freight but I would have thought bulk purchasing would bring that down. So your price (and every other retailer's price) is at least double the US price.

Andrew G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NZRS-Dave on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:22 pm

Hi Andrew,

Good stuff - lots to talk about here.

Our prices are generally based on the list price that the suppliers give us. Usually this is in US dollars - but of course - most US retailers sell for the MAP (minimum advertised price) which is the minimum price that the supplier will allow them to be advertised for.

The issue here is that they don't give us the street/map price and we'd have to go through nearly 30,000 products to get it competitive. We don't mind doing that, but you can imagine that prices change weekly/fortnightly - it's nearly impossible to keep on top of. We looked at doing it ... and we'd need to 10 staff working 10 hours a day for 10 days to get it right. And by that time we'd have to start all over again. because some prices had changed.

That's partly why we have the price challenge page - because despite our best efforts (and we are far better resourced now than we ever have been) we can't keep on top of it.

So that's partly why the price is what it is. So let's look at the price. A big issue here is that these guys order monthly, what we order in a year. So they get a better bulk buy price, and negligble freight cost.

So (no disrespect intended) but the 'bulk purchasing' theorem doesn't always work.

You also can't just convert the USD price to NZD and expect it to be the same - I know that you don't think that but you'd be surprised how many people don't factor in freight (and GST for more expensive goods). Or know how the pricing breakdowns work.

However - the freight for sending out a single head is mega-expensive (I saw a price on M123 for USD$38 when the head was only USD$12.99) and there is an element of risk to purchasing online. If you buy more than one head, naturally it's much better.

If I was doing a price challenge on just one skin ... then our price of $29 is quite good compared to NZD$62 if you got just one from Music123.

If I was doing a price challenge on three 14" skins (as an example) from M123 ... the US landed price would be NZD$105 and our price would be $87 at $29ea

If I was doing a price challenge on ten 14" skins (as an example) from M123 ... the US landed price would be NZD$249 and our price would be $290 - however - I could do $24 each to make it the same price.

So we can be flexible on most prices if you see something cheaper and ask us about them.

I think a lot of people look at the price and think 'well there is no way they can do this other price that I have seen' and don't ask us.

So feel free to fire questions my way ... you can email me directly after 7 days apparently ( Very Happy ) ... or PM me here ... or post a message here.

Does that help?

NZRS-Dave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew G on Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:47 am

Thanks Dave
I understand the freight costs etc, I guess my point was that they are much cheaper in America full-stop. The M123 example was just a random example without looking at freight (I've never dealt with them and they probably don't ship Remo heads to NZ). I expect to have to pay more because of the freight factor but how much more is fair? Remember, the M123 price is a price for one head not 10 and the MAP doesn't seem to apply over there when you look at the price spread.

As i'm sure you're aware, and probably why you're here, plenty of musicians are spending their money buying music gear from the States. This is because if you shop around and get a good shipping deal you can save a lot of $$. If it were just a few bucks they wouldn't bother, so it's significant. It's great that you are offering the "ask for a better deal" line and i'll certainly do that when i'm next visiting Dan at the Napier Rockshop (he's a top bloke btw, and I am a customer) but being NZ'ers we don't come from a bargaining culture (when I buy some shoes from a chain shoe store I tend not to haggle with the 16yo sales person) so we need to know about these deals. If, for example, you can do a deal on , say, 4 Remo ambassador snare heads, why not advertise it.

Cheers

Andrew G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NZRS-Dave on Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:55 am

That's odd - I typed a reply to this last week and just logged in to see if I had missed any followups to it and now I can't find my message. Maybe I shut the window too soon.

The basic premise was that I entirely agree with you and we are trying to move forwards to a place where there is better price parity with the USA. It will never be exactly the same or cheaper because of the logistics you noted. They sell in a month, what we sell in a year - so they do get better buy prices etc.

The other issue is that for most of the brands we have to forward order by 6-9 months and order in container lots. The manufacturer doesn't want to be doing 10 x 100 head orders per year - they want to send 1000 once. And it's a bit of crystal ball gazing to guess what we are going to need with that 6-9 month thing.

I guess it comes back to the initiative that 'if you see a cheaper price - let us know' - the worst we can say is no. And I don't think I've said out-right no in a long time. I just did a couple of really good deals on the Alesis DM10X kit and the Roland TD30KV.

Rock on.

NZRS-Dave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rocketshiptown on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:36 am

One of the main reasons I don't bother with the rockshop is that i live in wanganui, and i cant just walk across town to visit the local store. So I use the internet for the majority of my purchases.

Thats where the problem starts, its a rare occasion when the rockshop website has enough information about the product for sale, or any information about the product at all.

Just the name of the product is not enough. I need to know that I'm buying what I want, not guessing.

Heres a fine example:
I'm looking for some nice heavy sticks that wont break as often so Im thinking I might try some timbale sticks.
I came across this http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/regal-timbale-sticks.html

So I need to know the diameter, the length and the materials its made from. There isn't even a picture. This isn't a major problem for an item as simple as a pair of sticks, but when you start looking into complex items that are worth big money such as snare drums or a full kit; I'm not going to waste time paying for something that I don't know anything about.

I know you'll probably say it takes a lot of time and effort to get that kind of information because you stock so many products and have limited staff, and thats a fair argument. But thats not going to change the fact that I'm not going to waste my time with the rockshop when I don't know what I'm paying for.

Last edited by rocketshiptown on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total

rocketshiptown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NZRS-Dave on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:39 am

Hi RST,

Completely fair point and I totally agree with you. We are working really hard to get all this info up but as you have noted it takes so much time to get it.

And I totally understand that we are missing out on sales because we don't have it ... so it's a prime focus for us.

NZRS-Dave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Voodo Chops Child on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:00 pm

Hi Guys. Haven't been on the forum in a LONG time. But this post caught my attention.

I use Vater Fusion Sticks. Normally I get them from Takapuna Rockshop with my "Teachers discount" for $20 a pair.

A few months ago I began sourcing them from another online merchant here in NZ (no longer operating now). I bought 10 pairs for $149.50. So $14.95 a pair..

I generally buy my sticks in bulk every 6 months. Would the Rockshop be able to match that price? I would rather buy here in NZ but it does make it so hard when prices here seem so expensive, for something that has a very high profit margin?

Thoughts?

Cheers

Glen.

Voodo Chops Child

View user profile http://www.glenchild.com

Back to top Go down

Post  NZRS-Dave on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:04 pm

Hi Glenn,

We might be able to do something here ... what model were you using?

Cheers Dave

NZRS-Dave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Voodo Chops Child on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:06 pm

Hi Dave.

Wicked - that would be great. Thanks.

Vater Fusion wood tip..: http://vater.com/products/product.cfm?M=10

Cheers

Glen.

Voodo Chops Child

View user profile http://www.glenchild.com

Back to top Go down

Post  NZRS-Dave on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:21 pm

Hi Glen,

Do you mean these here?

http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/drums-percussion/vater-fusion-wood-tip.html

I'd do $15.90 per pair on a 10pr buy? Is that do-able?

Cheers Dave

NZRS-Dave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum