Gator cases and corrosion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gator cases and corrosion

Post  paradd on Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:31 pm

Hi,

Has anyone had problems with corrosion on the hardware of drums stored in Gator cases?

I noticed some pitting on the hoops and lugs of my Pearl Masters about 3 months ago. I treated with CRC and put back in the cases. I do not use the kit regularly and have just checked again. The corrosion has progressed, more in line with a 50 year old kit, not 5 years! This has not happened on the toms stored in a Hardcase and a Humes case. Minimal online investigation found this to be a significant problem as in the link below.

http://www.gatorcases.com/support/gpr-drum-case-statement.aspx

I would like to hear if anyone else has had this experience. My first stop is to go back to Atwaters where I bought them and see what their response is.

Cheeers and happy new year.

paradd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gator cases and corrosion

Post  paradd on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:55 am

Update : Nate at Atwaters has taken this on. He had only heard off this recently when talking to Jimmy Barnes drummer. He has since found out Drum City had a similar issue about 6 months ago.

paradd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paradd on Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:26 am

Further update : In getting a quote from the Rockshop for replacement hardware, I found they have just become aware of the problem also. Torey will be talking to Gator cases at a trade show in Anaheim this week.

paradd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:01 am

There's been a hell of a lot about this on other US forums. Lots of people with pitted and corroded
hardware. I can't recommend the protection racket bags enough, no problems with them.
Mark [Admin]
Admin

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  paradd on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:34 pm

It has taken a while but the insurance company for Gator in Australia has approved payment for replacement hardware and Gator have agreed to replace the cases. The cheque and the cases are still to arrive but if everyone is good to their word I will be a happy man!

paradd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paradd on Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:26 am

Still waiting for my cheque for the hardware...hmmmmmm. Half the cases have been replaced, waiting for new stock for the other half....................

paradd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Taz on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:24 am

Good luck with the replacements man. What is the story with the corrosion? They will fix it up for you?

Taz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paradd on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:20 am

Hi, The corrosion is linked to a chemical reaction caused by the way the adhesive was used or processed. It appears to release a gas that reacts with the metal hardware and the only option is to replace the cases and the hardware. I have nearly 2K of hardware due to arrive this month. Chur chur

paradd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Taz on Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:38 am

Sheeet, good bastards for coming to the party and sorting it out. Hope it doesn't make them go bust down the line.

Taz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paradd on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:22 am

Phew at last, the cheque due at the start of June has just been cleared (8 months after the original complaint but at least it is done!). I picked up the hardware and have already replaced most of the corroded bits on the drums. Two tom cases yet to be replaced once stock arrives. What a relief!! Gator was real slow but at least they were good to their word. Roger (Pearl actually) over and out!

paradd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paradd on Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:18 am

Hopefully my last post on this. The last of the replacement cases have arrived, 1 year 2 months and 3 weeks after the initial complaint. All the local people I have dealt with have been great; Gator not so much so. They finally came to the party but more than 1 year - customer service 101 - not! Cheeers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

paradd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:42 am

Glad to hear they made good in the end. Could have happened to any one of us. I ended up with skb cases but considered gator in the past.
Mark [Admin]
Admin

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top