Looking to buy Yamaha dtx electric drum kit

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Looking to buy Yamaha dtx electric drum kit

Post  cloudig on Tue May 14, 2013 6:27 pm

Hi there,

I will be moving to Wellington from overseas in a couple of months and will be looking to buy (specifically) a yamaha dtx560k or 700k kit. I have literally searched for hours on the web trying to locate a store in New Zealand that stocks these kits but have had absolutely no luck. The closest I have gotten is musicworks.co.nz who stock similar models of the yamaha dtx series but not the 560k and 700k. Despite me trying to contact them several times regarding this they have yet to reply (this was 3 weeks ago).

I also looked into importing from the US but was quoted nearly US$700 for shipping + US$2299 for the kit plus another estimated NZ$600-700 for duty and import tax. While price wise this may be ok I would prefer to be purchasing the kit in New Zealand in case something goes wrong so I won't have to be sending it back to the states at such an extortionate cost.

So my questions are:

Is there an official store anywhere in New Zealand that might have these drum kits, or a store that would be willing to order them in?

If not does anyone perhaps know of a business closer than the US that might be able to ship these kits at a lower cost than the US (ie in Australia or somewhere in Asia?).

Thanks a lot in advance Smile

cloudig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Looking to buy Yamaha dtx electric drum kit

Post  Taz on Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:02 am

Musicworks are the only Yamaha dealers as far as I am aware. I am in the process of purchasing a Roland because I did not like dealing with them to be honest. They do not support Yamaha here like the Rockshop do Roland and you can see that in their stock levels and pricing for extra cymbals.

Now, none of that helps you haha. I looked at shipping from the US but found the shipping cost and the fact you have no warranty just made it not worth the effort. You can get one in for cheaper I'm sure (make sure you calculate the GST) but personally I don't think it is worth it.

Another option I looked at was purchasing in Australia and bring it back with me. I just looked at Rolands, so I'm sure how Yamahas are stacked against NZ prices but I could do a grab-a-seat deal, up wrap things and make them look used and bring it in without paying the GST. There is a risk involved but if you get a good enough deal that you will still be paying less if you do get stung for GST you can't really lose. Again, this is a lot of effort/risk as there will be no warranty.

Basically, you will have to physically go into a Musicworks to talk face to face and make things happen if you're really set on that particular Yamaha, however they are bringing in new models at the moment (the 502's) so maybe you could add something to that shipment.

Good luck! I prefered the Yamahas so disappointed I had to go the Roland route

Taz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cloudig on Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:51 pm

cheers for the reply thought I'd never get one to be honest haha!

I did think of the Australia route but it seems like way too much of a hassle and prices aren't exactly cheap over in Oz either.

I've decided to order the kit (now newer model, yamaha dtx 562K) from thomann.de. I did a lot of research and found out that I have a mate who's actually been in Germany to their warehouse so its 100% legit. Prices are amazing and I got quoted 100 Euros for the shipping cost of the kit to Wellington (way better than the $700USD I was quoted by the US company).

Thomann will deduct the standard European VAT on their website but I worked out that the price displayed with VAT inclusive is roughly equal to the final cost that I will pay after import duty to NZ (minus the 100 Euros shipping cost).

I am still a bit worried that if something does happen to break I will have to ship it back but more than likely I will only have to send the broken part(s) back rather than the whole kit which shouldn't set me back too much.

It might be a good option for you (and anyone else out there) so check out their website www.thomann.de. Cheers.

cloudig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Taz on Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:36 am

haha all good man! Cheers for sharing the route you took. I'm sure it will help someone out in the future who is in the same boat.
100 euro shipping is insane! I take it that is sea freight? What sort of time frame have they given you? Be careful they don't ping you for landing or handling fees but even so I'm sure it will come out cheaper if they did.

I just got my Roland home yesterday and I love it. Wish I went electric years ago. If you're ever across the strait in Picton hit me up at Brereton Jewellers for a tinker.

The reasoning I came to with the warranty was the same, you'd only have to ship a part and 12 months is not that long anyway so I doubt anything would go wrong while it is covered anyway. Only thing I could think of was shipping damages but you can get insurance for that pretty cheaply.

Be keen to hear how it all panned out once it lands. I really liked the Yamaha kit I tried and might import one as a replacement when the time comes (or join it with the Roland, who knows. sky/wallet is the limit with these kits =D )

Taz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Taz on Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:37 am

Oh, and yeah the Aussie route was for ones on sale. If it was normal retail price it wasn't worth it.

Just had a look at that Thomann site, man there are some awesome deals on there. The kit I just got comes with a throne and pedal when bought from them....for less! I'm still happy with buying locally but there is some seriously good value to be had on that link =)

Taz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Taz on Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:56 am

Has it arrived yet man? What do you think of the service from Thromann? Any customs issues? I'm thinking about getting a Jamhub through them.

Taz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

dtx drum kit

Post  Christian Seyton on Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:56 am

Hi, I just bought a Yamaha DTX (DTxtreme IIS and am looking for someone who knows how to set up all the drum sounds and get in running optimally. I live in Wellington and have a personal home studio. If you're interested you can text me on 021 176 0782. I will pay in cash.

Christian Seyton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top