Snare rebuild

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Snare rebuild

Post  paradd on Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:21 am

Hi. I have a 12" deep Carlton King snare I am planning on cutting down to about 5-6". I will retain the bottom with the snare beds but would like to remove the re-ring from the top and reuse. Any advice on removing this without damaging it appreciated. Cheeers,,,,,,,,,,,

paradd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Snare rebuild

Post  Mark [Admin] on Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:46 pm

i remember seeing something about this on VDF I think you can get the ring
out in one piece. Maybe ask BK, i'm sure he'd have done it before.
Mark [Admin]
Admin

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  paradd on Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:24 pm

Done! I cut the top 2" off the shell. I slipped a thin blade between the ring and the outer three plies where there had been a little separation. I then cut through the three plies with a fine saw blade. By lifting the two ends of the cut out and away from each other, the outer plies peeled off without damaging the ring - I suspect the old glue was bone dry. The ring has now been inserted in the top of a soon to be 5.25" Carlton snare with the original cast hoops, Ajax and Pearl lugs and a Gibraltar piccolo strainer. Im not sure if it was the correct technique but it worked.

paradd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew G on Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:07 pm

Cool. Can we see photos?

Andrew G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paradd on Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:08 am

Just applied the grape sparkle wrap today. Will add when assembled. The top re-ring has a gap and looks untidy but the fit is solid and the head will sit on an even surface. It seems you and I and Peter are the only regular log ons at the moment.

Did you see my post on tuning two toms of the same dimensions? Any thoughts you have on this would be appreciated. Im not sure whether to use the same heads and tune differently or maybe have one with an Ambassador and one with an Emperor top head????

paradd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

re-rings and toms

Post  peterbrittenden on Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:08 am

Good to read info re re-rings. I've just bought an old Olympic 14X12 snare drum I'm cutting to make a 14X8 tom. Want to take out the re-rings and use them. For what it's worth I use two 16X18 Premier floor toms and simply (?) tune one about a third of a tone lower than the other.
peterbrittenden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paradd on Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:12 pm

Thanks Peter, let us know how it goes. Are you going to leave top or bottom as is and cut off the other end or trim off top and bottom and add re-rings to a middle section? I have to say having only removed this one ring, I have no idea how consistently successful the technique is.

paradd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paradd on Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:02 am

Ready to load a picture, Any idea how I do this (I am a techno-incompetent), I could not cut and paste????????????????????

paradd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew G on Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:35 pm

you have to load it to a 3rd party photo hosting site like Flickr etc. Here's a list of the most popular ones: http://www.ebizmba.com/articles/image-hosting-websites

Then you just copy and paste the URL. So like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/41363633@N00/sets/72157637987048433/

Andrew G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top