Cleaning / polishing drum wrap

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cleaning / polishing drum wrap

Post  paradd on Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:43 pm

I want to tart up the tired looking black sparkle wrap on a early 2000's snare. Normally I use mild detergent and dry buff with a soft cloth. Anyone have other techniques for this? Cheeers,,,,,,,,,,,

paradd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cleaning / polishing drum wrap

Post  Andrew G on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:06 pm

Hey Alan, Novus is the stuff to use. There are 3 grades (1,2,3) but I find 2 is all I need. I have cleaned up so many wrapped kits with Novus and it's brilliant stuff. You can buy it on TM http://www.trademe.co.nz/gaming/arcade-pinball-machines/other/auction-718172193.htm

Andrew G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paradd on Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:57 pm

Thanks for that Andrew. What do you use for cleaning chrome? I used aluminium foil on areas of minor pitting. Finest grade steel wool is generally recommended, but my theory is that direct contact between the aluminium and steel converts the red oxide of the iron to elemental iron and aluminium to its oxide (white so visually almost colourless) as aluminium is the more reactive of the two. Same principle as a zinc block attached on the steel hull of a ship to stop corrosion. Of course this could all be a load of bollocks - are there any metallurgists out there?
I finish the clean by wiping with CRC or similar. Cheeers, Alan.

paradd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew G on Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:09 pm

I never use steel wool as it does leave scratches. Alu foil works well and I think the science is pretty much as you say. It doesn't scratch the chrome either and does a better job than steel wool. People use it with Coke or wd40 but I find water works just fine and is less messy. Great for rusty hoops. I use Autosol to polish up the chrome

Andrew G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top