So I'm building a snare drum

View previous topic View next topic Go down

So I'm building a snare drum

Post  Chris sez on Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:00 am

And I need help!

First off Im stoked I found this site! kudos to all who made it happen Very Happy

Anyway the drum is going to be a jarrah block type, pretty much just like a Brady, and being my first build I need a few tips.
Specifically:

How thick should i make the shell? I intend to make it 14'' by 5.5'' deep but Im not sure how thick to make it and how it effects the sound etc.
Also tips on snare beds, (what length, how deep), does the type of snare hardware I get determine this?
Also I need to get the hardware for it, some low mass lugs, good throw off, die cast hoops I reckon, if anyone can help me out with getting these that would be a great help

Any help would be much appreciated, will keep updating on progress as it happens

Thanks all!

Chris sez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: So I'm building a snare drum

Post  Mark [Admin] on Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:03 pm

Hi Chris, my mate John recently build a jarrah stave drum and did a fantastic job. I think he made it about a half inch thick but said he would make it slightly thinner next time as the thicker the shell the higher the pitch. It really did respond best at a higher tuning. As for snare beds, depends on width of wires eg: 20 strand to 40 strand and depth is based on preference - I make mine about 3mm deep. I have tube and low mass lugs, plus die-cast hoops and all the other bits you require. PM me for price. Mark
Mark [Admin]
Admin

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris sez on Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:59 am

Cool thanks mark, will PM you soon
The 'John' you talk about, is that the guy with the same user name here?, Batman undies drummer? Very Happy

Chris sez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  John on Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:14 am

Nope, different John... Smile

John

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content