Cleaning products?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cleaning products?

Post  Chris sez on Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:09 am

What do you use to clean your cymbals?
Im a little scared to start experimenting in case i do some real damage, any tips anyone?

Chris sez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cleaning products?

Post  Snipe on Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:45 am

There is a lot of controversy over this subject. Many beleave cymbals should look their age and hate the thought of polish them up.
To clean or not to clean?!

My view is that a cymbal should look its age but it should be tarnish free and clean. We love and care for our kits and probably our cymbals even more. Why not look after them! Contra to many views, I think they even sound better and crisper, if that's what you want of course.

I went to see our mate Nate @ Atwaters and bought a bottle of Paiste Cymbal Cleaner, the bright orange bottle. That stuff is good and inexpensive. Follow the instructions and you will be amazed about the result.
It doesn't make them shiny like the air filter cover of a new Harley, but it cleans them and brings them back to life. Only very lightly clean over any print and you won't damage it.
Oh shock and horror, I cleand my 602's and now love them even more (sorry Mark!).
I have become an absolute convert for cleaning cymbals.

I know and hope this will create debate.

Snipe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie on Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:23 pm

Many people trying to avoid abrasive cleaners use lemon juice.
The citric acid cleans off fingerprints, corrosion in it's early stages and even stick marks, or so I've read.
I've also seen a bunch of before and after photos and the results look great.
The only proviso is that you wash the lemon juice off when you're finished so the citric acid is not left on the cymbal.
So next time I want to clean my pies I'm going to the super-market for a yellow, plastic lemon!
Up to now I've tried several "cymbal cleaners", the Zyljdian one's worryingly abrasive, the Paiste one (in the orange bottle) as Snipe said, is great! easy to use with great results but I'm keen to try the lemon juice option...

View user profile http://queenstown.signs.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:13 pm

Cleanin! wots all this bout cleanin!!! It's true I do like my cymbals to look like a back alley hooker but I do clean them as well. I have a number of different methods based on the severity of clean needed. If you have a cymbal that has lived under a house you need to wash if first - soap and warm water work well, bathroom tile cleaner can work to removed stubborn dirt as well. If there is heavy oxidation i have used a paste of salt and vinegar with a soft tooth brush working along the grooves. < these methods are only for dirty neglected cymbals. For a averagely dirty cymbal, any cymbal cleaner paiste, zildjian, sabian will work wonders but the best I have found is buckaroo cymbal polish available from Jansen - it comes in a tin with presoaked wadding and works like a charm. Some people use autosol but I would avoid using it as it is a bit abrassive. Finally use a clean cloth and some pledge spray frniture wax which will put a fine protective wax coating on the cymbal. Now, who said I don't clean my cymbals? Laughing
Mark [Admin]
Admin

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris sez on Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:04 am

Cool thanks all, think il get me some paiste cleaner and lemon juice for comparrison Smile

Chris sez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  firetomysoul on Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:37 am

I used autosol once, but it doesn't seem to get my a's that luster that that the zildjian one does.
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

cleaning pies

Post  granstar on Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:33 am

Since the days of smoke filled pubs are gone, iv'e hardly had to clean my cymbals.
If i do, i use normal dishwash, warm water, and give a light scrub with a plastic brush, then towel dry. That's all, not fussed about shiny, a clean does brighten them up some as it removed dust and finger oils from the grooves.
granstar

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/noideanz

Back to top Go down

Post  Bullfrog on Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:13 am

I use paiste cymbal polish followed by Paiste Cymbal Protector. They come up great. Brasso works good too Wink
Bullfrog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top