Pedals.. So many choices..

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pedals.. So many choices..

Post  Brennan on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:29 am

Alright I have ordered my second kick drum after weighing up all the pros and cons.
Now... When it arrives im guna need to get two single pedals.
Ive tried the pearl eliminators and the guys in the rockshop are trying to convince me to get them but everyone I have talked to has given me different opinions.

Any help guys?

Axis and DW seem to be the other popular choices. anyone got these or have tried them?

Thanks in advance!
Brennan

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/septicideband

Back to top Go down

Re: Pedals.. So many choices..

Post  firetomysoul on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:12 am

Pearl eliminators...hmmm

For a mid priced pedal...nothing beats it in my opinion, if you got the cash to fork out though...i still wouldn't go dw. I've tried both single and double pedals of the 5000's and the 9000's and i came to the same opinion on both, you can't shuffle it quickly and if your foot is over size 9 don't even bother!! the uprights that holds the camshaft are too close together you can't get your foot up there when you heel toe.

i have eliminator doubles and i probably wouldn't swap them for anything else, the axis pedals and trick ones are nice but i really cant justify parting with 1200 bucks.

the only other pedal i'd rate at all would be iron cobras
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brennan on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:33 am

Im using the iron cobras at the mo. pretty happy with them. Im a size 13 so ineed something big i guess. The cobras are perfect size tho!
I dont mind forking out for good ones if they are worth it. I would rather have the best than save a few bucks and have to buy replacements in a year or two!
Brennan

Back to top Go down

Post  firetomysoul on Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:06 am

don't get dw's then

this is the problem with the thin footboard design
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brennan on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:33 pm

Holy shit.
Brennan

Back to top Go down

Post  firetomysoul on Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:38 am

yeah
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:08 pm

ye-gods!
Mark [Admin]
Admin

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Pedals

Post  granstar on Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:25 pm

I tried DW 5002 double kick for a while but couln't get them adjusted to my preference, so out they went. Replaced with single Pearl Eliminator powershifters and never looked back. I use the white cam and really like the angled hoop fitting screw. The pedal has so many adjustments it is good idea to write down changes and do one at a time and play for a while, see how they go. Ironic my second one i took out of the box and havn't adjusted a thing Rolling Eyes I can recommend them as good pedals, plenty out there to choose from tho.

Faults, there were issues with chains breaking at the attachment, but never happened to me.
granstar

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/noideanz

Back to top Go down

Pedals

Post  Snipe on Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:06 am

Just wondering if anybody had a go on a Sonor Giant Step Twin Effect pedal. Is this a gimmick or is it any good? To me the idea kind of make sense. Even though I've never seen one in the flesh, they look well made and really well designed. I know they are hellish expensive. I just would like to find out if anybody has one or had a play on one.
Ta.

Snipe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  firetomysoul on Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:32 am

Thinking of parting with my eliminators and getting an axis single or double?

Yay or nay... I know you use them Mark, any pointers?
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

peadals pedals and more pedals

Post  smokingun on Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:56 am

yeah I'm thinking about parting with my eliminators too, I have tried all 4 cams and like the white ones the best but they still seem to be lacking something for me. Recently I picked up a Camco off Trademe and I am loving it but unfortunately it ain't a double. Gotta love the vintage pedal eh?
smokingun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bullfrog on Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:39 am

Cant beat good old Iron cobras Wink
Bullfrog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  firetomysoul on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:55 am

Bullfrog wrote:Cant beat good old Iron cobras Wink

Ummm.

Yes you can. Thats pretty much the crux of this thread is that if you want a decent pedal you either go trick axis or eliminator. dw if you're that way inclined. Not Cobras

But the real clincher is I just got a brand spankers Pearl demon drive. I love it. It's like the eliminator but a million times more responsive. Its brutal. My doubles are like a phlam now and triplets are brutally crushing, and the beaters make my kick drum sound huge!!!
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:19 pm

firetomysoul wrote:Thinking of parting with my eliminators and getting an axis single or double?

Yay or nay... I know you use them Mark, any pointers?

Yeah the axis is great – was playing a pearl single for awhile but broke out the axis for practice a fews weeks ago,
a really nice action. Most pedals seem good to me but I think the more adjustments just makes things confusing.
I'm on the look out for an old camco chain drive – it's the pedal most modern designs are based on.
Mark [Admin]
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  polar bear on Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:39 am

I'm using Taye double pedals, and I love them. Really responsive, and incredibly solid. A bit of a left-field choice, mind you, but well worth a try if you get the chance.
polar bear

View user profile http://www.throwittothefire.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post  firetomysoul on Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:40 am

I don't think i could use another pedal after using the demon drive aye. Its as good if not better than the axis pedals i've tried but parts are cheaper and more readily available
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bullfrog on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:14 am

firetomysoul wrote:
Bullfrog wrote:Cant beat good old Iron cobras Wink

Ummm.

Yes you can. Thats pretty much the crux of this thread is that if you want a decent pedal you either go trick axis or eliminator. dw if you're that way inclined. Not Cobras

But the real clincher is I just got a brand spankers Pearl demon drive. I love it. It's like the eliminator but a million times more responsive. Its brutal. My doubles are like a phlam now and triplets are brutally crushing, and the beaters make my kick drum sound huge!!!

Bit of a jackass reply bud, anymore humble opinions you would like to share Question
Bullfrog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  firetomysoul on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:43 am

yeah sure, what do you want...

how about the iron cobra's board has too much mass resulting in much less finesse that could be allowed, or the fact that its quite limited in its adjust-ability, or that Tama hasn't really contributed much in the way of advancements to drums or hardware pretty much ever, or that they cleverly got rid of one of their better selling kits(starclassic birch) in favour of making a far less accessable bubinga kit, or maybe the fact that all their stuff is horendously over priced for what it is.

Tama as a whole?
Fail.
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bullfrog on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:46 am

firetomysoul wrote:yeah sure, what do you want...

how about the iron cobra's board has too much mass resulting in much less finesse that could be allowed, or the fact that its quite limited in its adjust-ability, or that Tama hasn't really contributed much in the way of advancements to drums or hardware pretty much ever, or that they cleverly got rid of one of their better selling kits(starclassic birch) in favour of making a far less accessable bubinga kit, or maybe the fact that all their stuff is horendously over priced for what it is.

Tama as a whole?
Fail.

So what your trying to say is that you dont like Tama products?affraid

Btw Mr christian drummer you should check out Pat condell on youtube? he is the man! chow Wink
Bullfrog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  firetomysoul on Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:28 pm

Yeah pretty much, just never been that impressed with them to be honest.

Btw I never attacked you so whats your deal? You on a trip or something? Pat Conell? He's an amateur. People who call Christianity a religion have got it wrong from the beginning. Not to mention his false idealogies about it as a whole.

Seriously mate for someone of your age I'd expect a bit more maturity.
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:27 am

THought this was about pedals? Plenty of good pedals out there guys – I don't have one pedal
i'll take with me to the grave. I'm using an old yamaha speed king rip-off, an old pearl P880
chain and my axis on different kits.
Mark [Admin]
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bullfrog on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:39 am

Bullfrog wrote:
firetomysoul wrote:yeah sure, what do you want...

Tama as a whole?
Fail.

So what your trying to say is that you dont like Tama products?affraid

Btw Mr christian drummer you should check out Pat condell on youtube? he is the man! chow Wink

You might want to do your homework before you come on here spouting off like a know it all. As your just coming across now imho as an ignorant jackass.

Just abit of Ed for you....

Tama was the first company to offer super heavy duty hardware, and drum mounting systems that didn't intrude into the shell like most brands in the 1970s which most companies have subsequently copied. (free floating drum mounting system)

Yes Tama became known primarily for its hardware innovations and sturdiness, “Yes innovations that are probably taking place as i write this” but its drums are also highly regarded. Infact Tama's research and development of products, along with production of its professional drums is second to none.

Invented Octobans??? Tama

cast bell brass shell snare drum??? Tama

DW pedals copied directly from Tama iron cobra and yes is greatly adjustable. infact one of the first companies to introduce double bass peadals to the market! (i mean how much more adjustability do you honestly need)i own it and prefer it to many others ive played. The latest innovation to the cobra pedal is the "cobra coil" as of 2009 i believe, which i own and would recommend to others!

oh plus the recent mods made to the iron cobra hihat stand, again bulletproof and reliable like all Tama hardware.

The list goes on and on..... google it, its all there! and remember: “everybody's an expert behind a computer screen”!!!

As for prices here in NZ maybe your right, i dont know. i always buy direct from the states! On the international market it is competitively priced from what ive seen!

So many great drum companies out there and Tama is just one of them that has offered so much to drumming. If your a fan-boy of a particular company cool! but do your homework before you open your mouth son.

Peace
Bullfrog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  firetomysoul on Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:13 pm

Fair call, they did do the original design work for alot of things that are used today. But also it appears that they sorta pulled back on the development side a bit you know? like they have some cool stuff but as far as pushing the boundries they don't keep up. every company has their product they do well. Pearls optimounts are in my opinion the best mounts around. One of my tutors had a start classic, with start cast mounts which he upgraded later to the revised starcasts. played my mates gretsch and dw's and nothing quite allows the drum to resonate as much as the pearl optimounts do. my mate got them fitted to his dw and its a completely different monster now.

tama makes really nice clamps, stands and their snares are pretty awesome, mapex makes hot as kicks in the saturn series, gretsch drums...i don't know what they do but the just sound mean. Dw's i'm not really a fan of the lugs but the way the toms tune is pretty cool, everything has a good balance. Premier and ludwig as far as i'm concerned are kings of anything old school.

But back to pedals.

I've played cobras before and they don't do anything to excite me. My tutor had a cobra with his star classic which he binned in favour of the original eliminators. I had the eliminators after I sold my premier 252. regret selling that now as it was a beast of a direct drive. but the demon drive is something else. they stripped it right back to nothing and built a fresh pedal. the whole thing is light. it would weigh less than half of what my old eliminator weighed. The feel out of the box was amazing, what ever I did it did exactly. You know how most pedals you can be sloppy and momentum in the pedal will cover it up? You can't on this pedal because it won't carry your foot with it its that light, what plays is exactly what you do. The adjustability is really good. It has 2 positions the beater holder for it to clamp on to the cam shaft. on one it is durasticly quieter and allows for some really fine footwork. like one foot 16ths sorta footwork. the other gives you a mountain load of power which when you unload it actually sounds tighter and more forceful out of the kick. straight felt beater and has the guts to explode kidneys.
Then there's teh dual foot board where you can set it up to be a long board or a short, either way this feels great.

I guess the real testament is that I haven't needed to change any settings on it out of the box. all the spring tensions and everything were perfect.

So there's my opinion. hope it doesnt come across to you as a "jackass opinion"
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bullfrog on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:29 pm

It is an interesting pedal to play. But I will be reserving my decision for the new Tama Direct drive pedal rumored to be launched next year at namm, as im hearing these DD pedals still have a few design faults/flaws that Pearl still haven't ironed out. Screws/bolts stripping, and just not holding up to regular gigging like they should for the price tag etc.
Thats what happens when you rush something to the market-place, just ask toyota in America right now.

"All thinking men are atheists"
Bullfrog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  T on Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:48 am

I'd have to agree with Bullfrog,
i've had a fiddle with the new "Demon Drives" but i'd much prefer my standard Eliminator single.

as for the 9000's i find that my feet slip all over the place on them (my shoes don't have much grip left) same problem with the "High and Mighty" Axis Longboards!

Tama drums are the same as any other drum manufacturer... if you spend the money, you get magic... if you go skint you get the compromised quality...

I do own a pair of Tama double kicks, they're quite old and have the problem of falling apart, although i'll get round to fixing them soon. but the components are quite solid, its 1 screw thats letting them down.

and as for the Optimounts...
you cant touch the rims mount system... theres a reason its sooo popular!!

Cheers,
T
T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top