help! advice needed for newbee re vintage restoring!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

help! advice needed for newbee re vintage restoring!

Post  learnerdriver on Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:55 am

hey there. nice site and thanks to Mark for alerting all drummers re this. am currently looking at restoring a kit for kicks and also although I'm a learner re drumming, I've owned a few kits now..mostly Tama, but prefer the old kits re sound. my last kit was a vintage yamaha (shouldn't have sold it! sounded great) but I'm looking at a vintage broken down PEARL on trademe. Ex estate owned by an old guy who by the looks hasn't done anything to the kit since he bought it in the 70's. My question is this if you guys can help? ::: the wrap has peeled off on two of the drums (snare and tom I think), so can these be re wrapped with the same finish (white pearl like Marks stunning Rodgers) and if so, where can I get this done? also, do you guys know where this kit was made? I assume Japan?? Wood re shells?? am fascinated with old kits and LOVE the sound....heaps better than new kits.

thanks guys! cheers, denise

learnerdriver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: help! advice needed for newbee re vintage restoring!

Post  bryan on Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:58 pm

hey, I have the matching snare for this kit.

I don't use it, so if you want it once the auction is over let me know and we'll see if we can work something out.

unless I decide that I want the matching kit for my snare ;-)

bryan

View user profile http://www.xlr8.net.nz

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:41 pm

Hi Denise, those WMP rogers belong to Michael as near to mint as you can get i'd say. Re: your pearls, Japan for sure if they are vintage Bruce King can help you with re-wrapping the drums in White Marine Pearl however the actual material is very expensive because it comes form the states. PM me if you want his contact details.
Mark [Admin]
Admin

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

restoring

Post  granstar on Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:31 pm

Re wrap it yourself, it's not difficult, just needs some bravery and patience to do it right.
i got my new wraps from Precisoin Drum Company U.S check out their web site for details and advice.
granstar

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/noideanz

Back to top Go down

Post  DYNASONIC on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:20 pm

Very Happy there is a new wrap for drums on ebay,it comes from the us film industry is available in five colours all sparkle ,havent seen it yet but it could be good and you can re wrap a whole kit for under $90.00 NZ.

DYNASONIC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:59 pm

DYNASONIC wrote:Very Happy there is a new wrap for drums on ebay,it comes from the us film industry is available in five colours all sparkle ,havent seen it yet but it could be good and you can re wrap a whole kit for under $90.00 NZ.

It's sign writers glitter film and is not really suitable for recovering drums - it is ok for short term recover I guess but it is for all intensive purposes just a sticker.
Mark [Admin]
Admin

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

restore vintage drums

Post  learnerdriver on Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:54 am

hi all. thanks so much for all advice. unfortunately I asked too late in the piece so let the auction slide. someone got the kit for around $400. I kind of wished I'd picked it up as I'd been watching out for a white oyster pearl kit (or gold). I also found a local drum maker (WETA DRUMS) at Mount Maunganui who provides a service for wrapping (prob hugely expensive???). I LOVE your snare Bryan! very cool vintage piece. thanks again! cheers, denise

learnerdriver

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top