wrap or paint?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

wrap or paint?

Post  boguen on Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:46 pm

hey guys, bout two years back i got a B&H edgeware kit off trademe, it sounded like it wasn't to bad but when i picked it up hhhmmm, the bass drum wrap was all faded and cracked and the drum was a bit warped, it didn't bother me to much cause i was keen to do a bit of work on it (i love vintage kits!!) at the time i had no idea about rewraping and dident know anyone in little old wanaka so went to the local car painters and got some FORD XR6 XR8 blue and they came up mint! its been my little gig kit since, so i just wanted to know thoughts on things like sound difference between a rewraped or painted shell? (dont think i'd paint again as it was a bit of a mission) any thoughts.

cheer's carl

boguen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: wrap or paint?

Post  Mark [Admin] on Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:11 am

I think a painted shell is maybe a bit lower in tunable pitch and sounds more 'open' with a slightly longer note.
A wrap done well won't affect the sound too much but will raise the pitch slightly and reduce the length of the note.
the main thing with wrap is to use an extreme contact glue that makes the wrap part of the shell, almost like an
outter ply. The method where the wrap is held in place by a piece of tape and the hardware is going to kill the shell's
resonance.
Mark [Admin]
Admin

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  boguen on Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:12 pm

cheer's for that mark, your knowledge on things like this is much appreciated
the thing i really like about the painted shell is that there is no seem.

thanks again carl

boguen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

i'd go with paint

Post  smokingun on Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:04 am

check out the chad smith kit.
smokingun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boguen on Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:23 am

mate did you do that? if so nice work! i'll try and post some pic's

boguen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  boguen on Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:57 am

these drums are for sale on trademe (big buzzy bee on the bass drum) check them out

boguen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  peterbrittenden on Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:38 pm

Mark [Admin] wrote:I think a painted shell is maybe a bit lower in tunable pitch and sounds more 'open' with a slightly longer note.
A wrap done well won't affect the sound too much but will raise the pitch slightly and reduce the length of the note.
the main thing with wrap is to use an extreme contact glue that makes the wrap part of the shell, almost like an
outter ply. The method where the wrap is held in place by a piece of tape and the hardware is going to kill the shell's
resonance.
i'd be interested to hear why it is wrap held in place by tape will affect the resonance of a shell. i'm asking because i'm thinking about re-wrapping my apk premiers. cheers mark
peterbrittenden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark [Admin] on Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:39 pm

Mainly because when people use the tape method they use one strip at the seam and use the pressure of the hardware to hold the rest of the wrap to the shell - I think if you put tape across the whole surface you'll get a better result.
Mark [Admin]
Admin

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  firetomysoul on Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:54 am

it also means if it gets too hot it shrinks un evenly. very messy
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  peterbrittenden on Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:11 am

Mark [Admin] wrote:I think a painted shell is maybe a bit lower in tunable pitch and sounds more 'open' with a slightly longer note.
resonance.

Excuse me for resurrecting this thread but, because I'm planning a re-wrap for my APK Premier's, I have a question. What puzzles me is how something (wrap/paint/lacquer) done to the outside of a shell can affect what happens inside the shell. Until I read the comments above my plan was wrap held in place with double-sided tape and the hardware...something within my capabilities. Very Happy
peterbrittenden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DYNASONIC on Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:20 am

Idea if youve got the inclination/time wrap one , stain one ,paint one (may already be done) record them sound test ... let us know but as Mark has said it depends on what type of sound you like in the end (but more important the type , age ,bearing edge etc of shell) ...one mans poison ' no pun ' is anothers pleasure .

DYNASONIC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew G on Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:40 pm

Peter, I just rewrapped an old Star kit. The wrap is a vinyl and thicker than normal wrap so probably not recommended for what you're doing. However, I used an Ados spray adhesive which is their general purpose glue that's re-positionable for 2 minutes. I found it easy to work with (you need someone to help but it takes no time at all) and the bond is excellent and very tight. I used a super glue gel on the seams but a tape could be better for this. Pic below

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=60&u=14273398

Andrew G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top