Wood Finishing Help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wood Finishing Help!

Post  thepistachionut on Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:51 am

Hello, new here! I have this 1960's Pearl Kit, the black pearl wrap isn't in very good condition and I am not concerned about keeping it original and I think it would be cool to stain the wood either in a natural wood finish or maybe some color. Does anyone have any experience refinishing drums? Also, some of the bearing edges have dents and sections are chipping off. I talked to the Drum City people $190 bucks to re cut the whole kit, a bit too expensive for me, so any ideas on that would sweet also. If they tune up fine, I'm not going to worry about it, unless they damage the head. I'll post some pics of the raw shell tomorrow, so you have a reference point. Thanks!

Well, I have decided to just replace wrap. I feel it will be easier and give it that cool vintage look. But Anyway, talk about replacing wraps and staining shells!
thepistachionut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wood Finishing Help!

Post  Mark [Admin] on Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:04 pm

the older pearl and asian drums have a really open grain mahogany which you can stain but it's hard to get smooth. Wrapping them is much easier for sure.
Mark [Admin]
Admin

View user profile http://nzdrumforum.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

RE:wood finishing help!

Post  nakidrummerkid on Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:38 am

i have refinished an old style philippine mahogany pearl export kit with dark oak it looks great.mark is correct the grain is very open but all i did was get some Polly filler and scrape it around all the shells to fill in the open grain,sanded with wet n dry to get it REALLY smooth and stained,ill post pics as soon as i take some
nakidrummerkid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  firetomysoul on Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:40 pm

Poly Filler probably wasn't the best idea... better to use something like estapol sanding sealer as it would still absorb the stain into the timber behind where as the poly filler won't absorb any.
firetomysoul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top